Butter or Mayo??

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night I was makng grilled cheese for myself and my Wife, and as I grabbed the mayo I was struck by a question... how many people have traded mayo for butter in the construction of this sandwich?

So what say you photo people? What do YOU spread on the outside of your grilled cheese sandwich before browning it in a skillet? Butter or Mayo?

Butter, because I don't live on freak island!

Butter, because I don't live on freak island!

First time I heard of this I, too, thought whoever told me was crazy. Then I tried it. I will never use butter again.

Has to be REAL Mayo though... none of this miracle whip crap.

We use butter, have never heard of using mayo. Our twist though, that may make others think we also live on freak island, is that we always use cinnamon raisin bread.

So what say you photo people? What do YOU spread on the outside of your grilled cheese sandwich before browning it in a skillet? Butter or Mayo?
I've always used butter. Never thought about mayo. Does the mayo burn? Is the sandwich more greasy, or less, or about the same?

I saw a kid get chopped when his steak marinade burned black on the grill. Steak was cooked properly, but the burned substance was the thing that got him chopped.

Butter. I save the miracle wipe crap for French fries

I've tried both. Butter wins in almost all applications for me.

You guys are all doing it wrong.

For shame.

[slowly shakes head in disgust]

Butter, two slices of bacon, smoked Wisconsin cheddar.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk
Sounds great - I'll take 2, please.

Personally, I find mayo just vile to look at, worse to have to touch. I use it only when there seems no viable alternative: like mixing up tuna or chicken salad. And some in my potato salad, too, only I add yellow mustard to that.

To be fair, since it's fatty it probably does grill up just fine, and is doubtless easier to spread when getting started. Still, that's not enough to make me want to look at it. :1247:

Butter, two slices of bacon, smoked Wisconsin cheddar.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk
Sounds great - I'll take 2, please.

Personally, I find mayo just vile to look at, worse to have to touch. I use it only when there seems no viable alternative: like mixing up tuna or chicken salad. And some in my potato salad, too, only I add yellow mustard to that.

To be fair, since it's fatty it probably does grill up just fine, and is doubtless easier to spread when getting started. Still, that's not enough to make me want to look at it. :1247:

I have a rule in my house, when milk goes bad, I throw it away. I do not put it on sandwiches.. lol.

Mixed up some homemade mayo a few times last year, trying out canola oil and then peanut oil. Never tried mayo in place of butter on a grilled cheese, though I haven't made on of those in a while.

Last night I was makng grilled cheese for myself and my Wife, and as I grabbed the mayo I was struck by a question... how many people have traded mayo for butter in the construction of this sandwich?

Exactly what part of California were you born in? BUTTER... BUTTER...BUTTER!!!! No one in the culinary world ever uttered the phrase, "I really admire their in-descriminant use of mayonnaise." :lol:

Most reactions

Back