The real problem is that this culture of ours has moved away from the concept of EARNING, and has moved to INTITELMENT. Ergo, many people think they have a pro end camera, and boom... They are a pro. I have seen this mentality a million times, and not just in photography. It is fostered by a certain group of people, without the pre-curser of… first LEARN... then open business.
I have full encouragement in wanting to stand on your own, but for many it’s the allure of quick easy money. The think that because the camera does most of the work, voila, they can shoot and cash in. This is a concept not promulgated by, but defiantly NOT discouraged by the manufacturers because it sells cameras.
Years ago, my wife started into the mail order cheapie stuff from a certain company that Tom Bossley does ads for, and I when the stuff came in (propaganda, videos, and a bunch of forms) all for only $350.00, I hit the roof. So I told her, no mas until she can prove to me that there is a market, and that it is sustainable, and she understands business. End result: now she sells her own home made stuff, has her own business, and actually sells her jewelry. But not until after two years at a community college in Business Administration classes, and HTML courses.
I started mine, but had the misfortunate experience of having opened just when the economy took its first nose dive in 2006. (Gas prices hit, and people cancelled because they couldn’t afford me and the gas at the same time.) I was also working at an extreme disadvantage of having a regular job that conflicted with other’s schedules. Lesson learned.
I have nothing against opening a business, but I too fell pray to that mentality and got burned.