buy a good tripod

Brandman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i just realized how important a good tripod is. i have a sunpak 7500. it was really shakey and slowly turning and not staying in postion, granted i had a 70-200 2.8L is II and a 7d on it. DANG! i need a new tripod. what do you suggest for stability at a reasonable middle ground price?

Can you change the head on it? If so, maybe you just need a more solid head that'll hold up the camera.

I'm not an experienced photographer by any means, but I love my Manfrotto 055 X Pro B legs and Vanguard SBH - 250 head. It is very stable and also has the horizontal center section ability, which comes in handy for macro shots.

Do you care about weight? If so Gitzo 1542T is amazing! I have it and bring it everywhere because it's weight is next to nothing.

I 2nd this. When I bought my cheapo tripod, I thought, "whats the big deal? As long as it doesn't move" well I regret it now. I did a recent shoot and wished I had a better one. I fastened my gripped T2i on it, adjusted it in portrait orientation and was scared crapless of it falling off because of how badly it wobbled.

Do you care about weight? If so Gitzo 1542T is amazing! I have it and bring it everywhere because it's weight is next to nothing.
Dang! the 1542T is out? I'm using an old 1540...I've had it for AGES.

I have the Manfrotto 190X Pro B with the Giottos MN1301-652 ball head.
The legs are really good and stable and the flexibility of the central column is just great for many purposes.
The head is rated to hold 9kg (20lbs) so I would say it's pretty capable for any Digital body that I know of with any of the "normal" f/2.8 lenses like the 14-24, 24-70 or 70-200 (from Nikon - I am not knowledgeable about Canon lenses).

I recommend this setup as is it sturdy, not very heavy, resists in rain and salt water and dust and sand pretty good. I have for 2 years and it works just as good as in the beginning.

I spent weeks researching all the options. Sunday I purchased the Auctus Plus 323CT from Vanguard for $479. It is heavier than many other options (about 7lbs), but it is one of the only options tall enough for me (I'm 6'6"). It has several options others don't, and its stability is unsurpassed at any price point.It's not an every day carry type of setup, but for what I do, it's perfect.

Most reactions

Back