Buy a stove, open a restaurant.

PhotoWrangler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.themodernmutt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
People don't buy stoves and think they can open a restaurant, why do people think they can buy a camera and open a "studio"?

I know this subject has been discussed ad-nauseum, and beaten worse than a dead horse, but I swear in the last two weeks I've had at least three friends show up as "owner of So and So photography" on Facebook.

Now these are people with absolutely NO photographic background. People who I went to high school with who were so absolutely not into ANY art classes at all, much less photography. They are "advertising" their "studio," and for the love of God, all of their stupid little "mini-sessions." REALLY?!?

This is people that I know, or that I've known for years. People who NEVER put an ounce into learning photography and now they have gone into business?

I just don't get it.

/vent.

Actually it makes perfect sense. Unlike a stove, even top end, these fancy new digital cameras do everything for you. Just turn it on, click, click, ka-ching, ka-ching. And then 'Facebook' and 'Free advertising' both start with 'f', which explains everything else. Could it be any clearer? (insert sarcasm here)

What REALLY hurts is that they're better than you, isn't it? C'mon, come clean.

People don't buy stoves and think they can open a restaurant, why do people think they can buy a camera and open a "studio"?

I know this subject has been discussed ad-nauseum, and beaten worse than a dead horse, but I swear in the last two weeks I've had at least three friends show up as "owner of So and So photography" on Facebook.

Now these are people with absolutely NO photographic background. People who I went to high school with who were so absolutely not into ANY art classes at all, much less photography. They are "advertising" their "studio," and for the love of God, all of their stupid little "mini-sessions." REALLY?!?

This is people that I know, or that I've known for years. People who NEVER put an ounce into learning photography and now they have gone into business?

I just don't get it.

/vent.

The horse is dead. In fact he died of nausea. Then he got beaten. And then beaten some more. And then there was some additional beating. Then I think he got run over by a truck, and then.. lol.. well, you get the point.

I guess my question would be, who cares? If they want to proclaim themselves as professional photographers, or professional ballerina's, what difference does it make? I mean seriously, at what point does the professional photographer who actually is worthy of being a pro finally say, you know what, I have some faith in my clientele. I mean lets face it, if the client cares about quality and is willing to pay for a real professional they will. The ones that won't and will hire schmo's like this, don't. They were never going to be clients in the first place. They want a wedding shot for $100 or less, or whatever it happens to be - that's why they aren't picky about seeing a portfolio or asking for references.

I guess my point here is pretty simple - I just don't see the point of getting all hacked off and the non-professional pro, because in the long run they aren't taking clients a real pro would have gotten anyway. On the extremely rare occasion when that might happen, well the client will learn their lesson and they won't quibble about price the next time they need a pro.

So please, for the love of all that is holy, let the dang horse lay down and be dead now.

...........I just don't get it..............

So don't bother. Let them have their 2 months of 'being in business'. They'll learn within that time it's not the piece of cake they thought it would be. Just worry about yourself.

What REALLY hurts is that they're better than you, isn't it? C'mon, come clean.

Well one is a better hairstylist than me, the other is probably a better secretary than me, and since I quit drinking the other one is probably a better drunk than me.

The jury is still out on the photography issue though.

So please, for the love of all that is holy, let the dang horse lay down and be dead now.

I dont care if they want to call themselves professional Himalayan whistle kids... they can call themselves what they want. And they can start any business they want too.

What I still have yet to figure out is why this industry gives off the impression that its easy to make money in? Or that anyone can do it simply by buying a tool. What is it about this industry that makes someone think "I can do that" and hang out a shingle.

I can make a sandwhich, or a mean pot of crawfish e'toufee, but I'm not renting out restaurant space. I watch HGtv, but I'm not buying lumber at Home Depot to build houses with. I've watched my sister dance professionally since she was 11 but I'm not lacing up my ballet slippers.

THAT is whats most insulting. That people randomly thing this is easy. That there isn't any technical knowledge behind it. That its as simple as buying and expensive camera and clicking a button.

What I still have yet to figure out is why this industry gives off the impression that its easy to make money in? Or that anyone can do it simply by buying a tool. What is it about this industry that makes someone think "I can do that" and hang out a shingle.
It's very simple: The vast majority of the people that view their photographs know less about photography than they do and their standards are so low that anyone with a P&S or a cell phone camera can wow them with their abilities. That, in turn, convinces people that they have talent far above what their abilities are able to sustain. And THAT, in turn, convinces them that they are ready to "Go Pro".

THAT is whats most insulting. That people randomly thing this is easy. That there isn't any technical knowledge behind it. That its as simple as buying and expensive camera and clicking a button.

I make no judgement about whether this is true or not, but merely suggest the following thought experiment: What if it actually is that simple?

.......What I still have yet to figure out is why this industry gives off the impression that its easy to make money in? Or that anyone can do it simply by buying a tool. What is it about this industry that makes someone think "I can do that" and hang out a shingle. ..........

I've never gotten the impression 'the industry' give the impression that being a photographer is easy.

What these people are doing is totally independent of 'the industry', and real business in general. If they were truly interested in opening and operating a 'real' business, they would do market research first. That alone would show them the facts... "Holy crap! EVERYONE with a DSLR is a professional photographer! NO WAY can I compete with that! I think I'll look into opening a restaurant!"

I've never gotten the impression 'the industry' give the impression that being a photographer is easy.

What these people are doing is totally independent of 'the industry', and real business in general. If they were truly interested in opening and operating a 'real' business, they would do market research first. That alone would show them the facts... "Holy crap! EVERYONE with a DSLR is a professional photographer! NO WAY can I compete with that! I think I'll look into opening a restaurant!"

Well, you do have a point there.

I dont care if they want to call themselves professional Himalayan whistle kids... they can call themselves what they want. And they can start any business they want too.

I can make a sandwhich, or a mean pot of crawfish e'toufee, but I'm not renting out restaurant space. I watch HGtv, but I'm not buying lumber at Home Depot to build houses with. I've watched my sister dance professionally since she was 11 but I'm not lacing up my ballet slippers.

Costs a lot more to rent out restaurant space and get all the permits and crap. Guess what, if folks could open a restaurant for $500 bucks and try to start selling their crappy food, well then your friends on face book would most likely be advertising Professional Photography and Catering Services.

If you feel insulted that someone else is using the same title, then I suggest the problem here is not with them - it's with you. You need to think about that, seriously. Look, if you are a pro photographer and actually doing it for a living then guess what, you've made the big leagues. So why in hades are you getting all worked up about some bozo playing triple AAA ball and bragging about it on facebook? Take the time, energy and effort your wasting on this and do something productive with it that will improve your own business.

Seriously, leave the horse alone already. It's deader than Elvis.

Do you realize how many restaurants fail? After somebody loses their shirt in the restaurant business they try to become a photographer.

Costs a lot more to rent out restaurant space and get all the permits and crap. Guess what, if folks could open a restaurant for $500 bucks and try to start selling their crappy food, well then your friends on face book would most likely be advertising Professional Photography and Catering Services.

If you feel insulted that someone else is using the same title, then I suggest the problem here is not with them - it's with you. You need to think about that, seriously. Look, if you are a pro photographer and actually doing it for a living then guess what, you've made the big leagues. So why in hades are you getting all worked up about some bozo playing triple AAA ball and bragging about it on facebook? Take the time, energy and effort your wasting on this and do something productive with it that will improve your own business.

Seriously, leave the horse alone already. It's deader than Elvis.

I've had my stent in 'business'. I learned my lesson. And I've come to peace with the fact that I'll probably never be a 'professional' photographer with a full time income. That's why I'm still a police dispatcher and 911 operator full time. And to tell you the truth, after the lessons I've learned, I don't know that I'll ever try to be in 'full time' photo business ever again. Even as a second career.

It's not about titles, and being jealous of someone else calling themselves a photographer or even opening their own studio.

What its about is the fact that people discount the knowledge that we as photographers work so hard to achieve. They cut down the tower of technical know how to nothing but a stump.

Do you not find it the least bit insulting when someone looks at your work and says "thats a good picture, you must have a nice camera!"? Its the same principle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back