Buy D750 on sale or wait for the D400/500?

AceCo55

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yes - I know I'm crazy/delusional :icon_eek:

Some background (sorry its long):
I shoot almost exclusively Australian daytime country sports for my town and region – sometimes dirt karts are held under lights.
There are NO sport photography professionals within 150km of our league and the next one is 300km away. No pro sports photographers EVER come to our region (Australia has one of the least population densities in the world!).
It is a serious hobby that I love and it pays for gear replacement every now and then.
I have 2 x D300 bodies and a D4
I use BBF on all three bodies.

I shoot Australian Rules football during the day throughout the winter with the D4 + 200-400mm f4 + 1.4xTCII on a monopod. At the end of the day I might get to ISO 8000
I got the D4 (two years ago) to cope with the lower light levels at football matches late in the day. The D300 is unusable. There is a tragic story as how I was able to buy a new D4 – but that’s another matter.
I shoot netball with a D300 + 70-200mm f2.8.
We park our cars at the oval’s edge with the boundary line about 5m away (you have to love country footy!) so I leave my netball setup in the car when I shoot football and then swap over when I walk over to the netball courts. I shoot about 12 matches each Saturday. So weight is not an issue.

FYI: An Australian Rules football ground is about four times bigger than an NFL ground and a netball court is about the size of a basketball court.

I have been desperately waiting for the D400 for many years – yes, tragic I know!!!
I decided 2016 was going to be the year to “retire” the two D300 cameras.
I have been considering the D750 for these features:
* expeed 4
* much better ISO performance than D300
* 24MP over the D300 ‘s 12MP (the loss of reach is compensated by the extra cropping options)
* same or better auto focus performance (?)
* I'm fine with 6.5 fps
What I am more concerned about:
* button layout not quite the same as D300/D4
* any issues using BBF with D750
* weather sealing of body (I DO use Think Tank rain covers when it rains)
* overall robustness of the body
* 150,000 rating for shutter (I have already replaced one D300 shutter and the other one is iffy)

I was thinking if I got the D750 I would shoot football with it mated to the 200-400mm f4 + 1.4xTCII.

Now the problem!!!!
I was intending to wait until the D5 was released to see if the D400/500 was going to be released at the same time.
Today I saw the D750 on sale for $1999 instead of $2399 at a bricks & mortar store that I am a member of. But the sale ends on Jan 31. That extra $400 can buy spare batteries and SD cards (which I don’t have). I have the money set aside ready to spend.
So do I pull the trigger on this deal … or wait and risk paying the higher price for a “maybe” camera that may never come … or wait for a d7200 upgrade/replacement.

So for anyone shooting sports with a d750 – is it the camera for me or do I bide my time and wait for the next big thing?
Would the D750 perform as well as (or close to) the D4 on mated to 200-400mm f4 + 1.4xTCII?
(the extra 8MP allows for a little more cropping)

I am not a sports shooter even though I do get to use it in sports from time to time.
I used my D750 in hockey and Lacross games and was very happy with the results.
Low light is the strong point of the D750 and so is the AF on it.
Dont worry about the botton layout, you will get used to it very fast.
I doubt Nikon will come out with a D400/D500 but yur guess is as good as mine.
If you want good DX camera for sports the D7200 will do the trick nicely but in lower light you can replace the power of FX camera.
I cant compare the D4 to my camera, D4 is a dedicated sports camera, D750 is an excellent general use camera, 2 very different beasts.

Thanks for that info/viewpoint. :thumbyo:
Do you happen to use BBF and if so how is the "reach" for your thumb - does it fall nicely over the AE-L button or do you feel like you are "reaching" for it.
I shoot with my left eye (just can't get used to right eye) and so I'm worried about my head getting in the way.
(I may well be over thinking all this and way too wary of buyer's remorse)

Off point, and by your gear you know way more about this than me, have you tried the d7200 at all. It's build is very similar to the d750, but gives the dx view with a strong image and most of what the d300 gives , apart from build and 2fps. I as because you talked about waiting for a d7200 update, what do you want updated?

Off point, and by your gear you know way more about this than me, have you tried the d7200 at all. It's build is very similar to the d750, but gives the dx view with a strong image and most of what the d300 gives , apart from build and 2fps. I as because you talked about waiting for a d7200 update, what do you want updated?

Thanks for responding.
The advantage of the d750, I am seeing on the all knowing internet, is the expeed 4 processor, better auto focus performance (and that is critical to me), maybe better ISO performance?, slightly bigger and closer in size to D300, better battery life.
I was hoping that if Nikon isn't going to bring out a D400 than they might consider updating the d7200 to match the build and performance that we expected to see years ago!

As I said you know your needs.

The d750 is great. Af top notch.

Not sure about waiting for d400, there's 4 yr old posts asking similar question. would a dx and fx set up be more flexible,or is 2x fx better for you?

If you get to a shop to try out cameras give the d7200 a spin. Same af more or less as the d750, it might surprise you.

As I said you know your needs.

The d750 is great. Af top notch.

Not sure about waiting for d400, there's 4 yr old posts asking similar question. would a dx and fx set up be more flexible,or is 2x fx better for you?

If you get to a shop to try out cameras give the d7200 a spin. Same af more or less as the d750, it might surprise you.

Thank you very much - appreciate your thoughts.
From internet browsing (and that is the place for the absolute truth isn't it?) the D750 seems to come out as being better than the d7200 ... but again that may depend on one's preferences.
I do have a chance of driving the 300km to Adelaide (where the big camera stores are) this weekend, so I might get the opportunity to pop in and handle both cameras.

Oh ya sorry, I thought you were thinking of buying a d,750 or waiting for a good dx, I must have misunderstood

I used my My D750 with back button focus and if felt completly natural, lately I went back to use front button but thats beside the point.
As far as I know the D7200 and D750 have identical AF system.
D750 main advantage over the D7200 is its beasty low light performance, if you dont need the better low light performance to me it looks like the D7200 might suit better low light performance because of the 1.5 crop factor.

I used my My D750 with back button focus and if felt completly natural, lately I went back to use front button but thats beside the point.
D750 main advantage over the D7200 is its beasty low light performance, if you dont need the better low light performance to me it looks like the D7200 might suit better low light performance because of the 1.5 crop factor.

Thanks for that - appreciate the info on BBF - looks like I can cross off that concern
Looks like I have more research to do

Thanks for that - appreciate the info on BBF - looks like I can cross off that concern
Looks like I have more research to do
You also seemed being concerned about weather sealing, both the D7200 and D750 are weather sealed, while I wouldnt go swimming with it I would feel confident to use it in all different weather conditions even though as a rule of thumb I try not to mix electronic equipment and bad conditions as much as possible.

This is my look of it, I think the D300 iconic image is a bit over blown, I think the D7200 can do today most of what the D300 could do, I know how many people want t true D300 replacement and the D7200 is not that but I do think the D7200 is close enough not to need a true D300 replacement.
No it does have the "pro" botton placement and maybe the bod isnt as robust build as the D300 was but honestly its very well build and with the bigger buffer (compared to the D7100) I think you are getting a very capable camera with the best APS-C sensor in the market today.

No point in comparing the d7200 to the 750, for those that have. Take it from somebody who owned both at one point and ended up selling the d7200. The 750 is a beast in low light and the AF system is very good.

No point in comparing the d7200 to the 750, for those that have. Take it from somebody who owned both at one point and ended up selling the d7200. The 750 is a beast in low light and the AF system is very good.

Thanks for your observations - both of these features are important.

Thank-you to everyone who have contributed so far - it really has helped me crystallise my thinking. :encouragement:

Here is where I think I am at.
I'm delighted with the D4 - the only "drawback" is me needing to use the 1.4TC to shoot football and cricket

If I get another FX camera, I will be in the same situation but the new one should have a few more pixels to allow some cropping. The new one might not play so nicely with the 1.4TC. I just don't know. I know I can accomodate the reach of my lenses with an FX camera - but it does mean using the TC for those two sports.

If I get a DX to compliment the D4, it will give me a bit more flexibility. Use the DX for football and cricket without the need for the TC, plus I get more pixels.
The DX/FX combination opens up a larger number of shooting possiblities ... IF THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DX IS EXCELLENT

At the moment (and I will continue to do some more research) I'm just not keen to jump to the D7200.
My gut feeling is that I need the button functionality/feel/performance to be a bit better to put my money down on it now.

I'm leaning to waiting for the D400 or the D7300 ... and only get the D750 if the DX cameras are not released in the foreseeable future (months).

BUT I'm all ears to further thoughts - I may well have a misconception or have not thought about another possibility. :butterfly:

Thanks for your observations - both of these features are important.

Thank-you to everyone who have contributed so far - it really has helped me crystallise my thinking. :encouragement:

Here is where I think I am at.
I'm delighted with the D4 - the only "drawback" is me needing to use the 1.4TC to shoot football and cricket

If I get another FX camera, I will be in the same situation but the new one should have a few more pixels to allow some cropping. The new one might not play so nicely with the 1.4TC. I just don't know. I know I can accomodate the reach of my lenses with an FX camera - but it does mean using the TC for those two sports.

If I get a DX to compliment the D4, it will give me a bit more flexibility. Use the DX for football and cricket without the need for the TC, plus I get more pixels.
The DX/FX combination opens up a larger number of shooting possiblities ... IF THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DX IS EXCELLENT

At the moment (and I will continue to do some more research) I'm just not keen to jump to the D7200.
My gut feeling is that I need the button functionality/feel/performance to be a bit better to put my money down on it now.

I'm leaning to waiting for the D400 or the D7300 ... and only get the D750 if the DX cameras are not released in the foreseeable future (months).

BUT I'm all ears to further thoughts - I may well have a misconception or have not thought about another possibility. :butterfly:
FWIW the D5 is supposed to be released tonight in a few hours. If you are waiting for a D400, dont! It will probably never appear. I gave up in April and switched to Canon (but I'm a bird guy) Nikon just does not (or can't) address the needs of a high speed dx camera... If you are used to the D4/D300 Maybe you should consider a D810 with a grip? Fastest option Nikon has in DX mode at 7 FPS and has the build quality and ergonomics you are used to...

FWIW the D5 is supposed to be released tonight in a few hours. If you are waiting for a D400, dont! It will probably never appear. I gave up in April and switched to Canon (but I'm a bird guy) Nikon just does not (or can't) address the needs of a high speed dx camera... If you are used to the D4/D300 Maybe you should consider a D810 with a grip? Fastest option Nikon has in DX mode at 7 FPS and has the build quality and ergonomics you are used to...

Well that will be great - I'm going to wait a few weeks at hope they also surprise us with a D400/500. If they don't, I will stare reality in the face and, with a trembling lower lip, whisper "you were right all along"!!!!!!!!
In that case I will seriously look at a D7200. If I buy that and I'm happy with the IQ/handling then I will hang onto it until a D7300 comes out to upgrade it. If I'm not happy with it I will buy the D750 and then if a D7300 comes out and is what the D400 should have been, I might go with that to get that DX/FX combination.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back