BUYING A DIGITAL SLR CAMERA

Side by side the Nikon D70s and the Canon 350XT are fairly close in features and image quality. Picking them both up and handling them was what pushed me to the buy the Nikon. Not even close... Like Ant said, it felt like the Canon was a cheap plastic toy.

Ya. I think i may just find some cheapo from the trading mag or something. Just to mess around with at first. I still want a dslr, just not a million dollar one. My eyes were bigger than my money pocket at first.. heh..

Glen C said:
Side by side the Nikon D70s and the Canon 350XT are fairly close in features and image quality. Picking them both up and handling them was what pushed me to the buy the Nikon. Not even close... Like Ant said, it felt like the Canon was a cheap plastic toy.

same exact reason i went with nikon too :mrgreen:

I guess it was advertising and reputation that lead me toward Canon. Why, is Nikon better? :p

Canon does have a lot more money for advertising, after all they sell printers, copiers, video and a host of other stuff. This generates a lot of cash flow for the ads. It also generates a lot of extra cash to discount whole systems for major news and sports reporting organizations. Reputation? I always thought Nikon had a better and longer rep with the pro's. I bought my first one after talking with my dad. I asked him what he would buy, Canon or Nikon? His reply was typical, he would find out what the reporters in Vietnam were using. I looked into it and found that they used the Nikon F. He felt that if a Nikon was good enough to go to Vietnam, it was good enough for me to take to high school. I still have that F model purchased in 1969. The 45mm f/2.8 GN lens I purchased with it I still use on my D1X from time to time. That camera/lens still shoots as good as the day I bought it and the only service its had is a good cleaning about 15 years ago. I looked into what the military is using in Iraq, Nikon. Most still photographers there do as well. You will find both pro's and armatures that are quite admit about what they shoot. I make no bones about my sticking with Nikon, they have served me extremely well without my ever having a second thought of doubt. Whatever you buy, I wish you well, and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Other than a good ribbing, you will find all the info you need here on TPF.

Ah. Maybe i shall move to Nikon.. I don't know. Once i have the money, i'll wander around to shops and check things out. As far as all that crap about Vietnam goes, i don't know. I'm guessing you're an american..

But otherwise. Thank you all for your help. I'm sure when it comes closer to getting this thing started, i'll be filled with questions again.

Take it easy chaps.

Yes, I am an American. But that has nothing to do with what the war photographers from around the world were using in Nam. This was how my father related how he would have decided on a brand.

jstuedle said:
Canon does have a lot more money for advertising, after all they sell printers, copiers, video and a host of other stuff. This generates a lot of cash flow for the ads. It also generates a lot of extra cash to discount whole systems for major news and sports reporting organizations.
You're conveniently forgetting R&D ;)
I looked into what the military is using in Iraq, Nikon.
Where did you get that info? The issue camera from 1980 or so, has been Canon. I have the manual from advanced military photo course, and it describes operation of Canon F1n... no mention of Nikon

Otohp said:
Ah. Maybe i shall move to Nikon.. I don't know. Once i have the money, i'll wander around to shops and check things out. As far as all that crap about Vietnam goes, i don't know. I'm guessing you're an american..

But otherwise. Thank you all for your help. I'm sure when it comes closer to getting this thing started, i'll be filled with questions again.

Take it easy chaps.

It's always free to look at them. Holding both the D70 and 300D both made my decision pretty easy to make as well.

And for clarification, the military uses both Nikon and Canon bodies for different applications. Much like we do in the civilian world.

robhesketh said:
If you start out down the SLR road, it's worth mentioning that the standard zoom that comes with a kit camera isn't usually too great. Perhaps consider getting a 50mm f1.8 fixed lens as this will work better in lower lighting situations and give very sharp results - the cheapest bang for your Aussie buck.

Rob

Unless you buy the Nikon D70/D70s. The "kit" lens on these is quit good.
Ditto on the 50mm 1.8.

If I were going the Nikon route, which I've already done, I'd choose the D70. The price is cheaper and with the software update you get the D70s (almost) minus the bigger screen and "wired" remote.

I think the comment about the Canon being a cheap plastic toy are totally unfounded. Even if you just mean how it feels. Hold 350D then hold a disposable camera. The Canon 350D is very sturdy i think, I've used a camera made of metal and in my opinion it's unnecesary. The outer housing doesn't stop the stuff inside being dislodged like the prism or censor or whatever. There isn't really any need for metal housing and if there is your camera will probably break quickly anyway.

I think the comment about the Canon being a cheap plastic toy are totally unfounded. Even if you just mean how it feels. Hold 350D then hold a disposable camera.

I don't think a 300 or 350 feels like a cheap plastic toy. Maybe an expensive plastic one.;) Just kidding. But I have always preferred the cast metal of my Nikons to the less durable IMHO feel of plastic. All this is not to say Canon don't make a good camera. If they made junk, the would go the way of the dinosaurs like so many other camera manufacturers. If you take a look subjective look at the time line of the digital SLR you will find the Nikon D1 was the first reasonable priced (5K) full featured DSLR with a usable resolution. It followed the Kodak line of modified piggy-back two-ton bricks that were more in the 20 to 30K price range. Canon scrambled to catch up with several models finely passing Nikon for a short time until the D1X was introduced and the leap frogging was in full bloom. For every model Nikon would come out with, Canon would bring out two, three or more until they equaled or passed Nikon. We now have the D50/D70 and 350D battle for the pro-summer models. And the D2X and 1Ds MKII battle as well as the battle between the "full frame" and DX formats. I shoot a lot of wildlife so I like the DX format, my 400 3.5 looks like a 600 f3.5 now. The DX format also can provide us with smaller lighter high performance lenses and truth be told both formats require special wide angle lenses for full performance. As a side note, I feel the D2X will be Nikons last pro DX DSLR. The pixel size is the smallest in the industry and pushes the limit of the best glass to resolve, so my bet is the D3X will be a 20+ MP full frame with the same size pixels. And I really look for that to be sold at the same time as the D2 series. I guess this is rambling so I should stop for a while and let the debate proceed. Fun isn't it? ;)

If you're in Brisbane... which I have the feeling you're near there from the way you say metro qld hehehe... I'm just from country Cairns.

Go into Photo Continental. They are literally the best and biggest photo store in queensland. The staff are great in there and they'll help you out heaps. Everytime I'm in Brisbane I always go in there and just stand in wonder at the stuff they have. Some of the darkroom snobs in here would simply drool at their supplies!

Here are their details:
www.photocontinental.com
1480 Logan Rd, MT Gravatt. Q. 4122.
Ph (07) 3849 4422
Fax (07) 3849 4424
E-mail [email protected]

(As you come along Logan Rd, go a teeny bit past the shop and turn left down the street just past the shop and then you'll see another sign for its carpark.... much easier than trying to find a park in the street!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back