Buying a DSLR for the first time

Creative404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I never thought it was going to be this hard to decide which dSLR to purchase. I have read most of the reviews and charts on dslrs under $600. There is the XS, A230, D40, D3000, K2000, and so on. Before I start asking questions I will get this off my chest. Does anyone know if I can buy a Pentax K200d for under $550. I dont really want it used though, but refurbished would be fine. That is the camera I would love to purchase but it is just a bit out of my range.

Now I am not going to ask which is the best because each camera has features that stand out from the others. In my point of view, I really like nikon and canon for having the IS in the lens, but the XS feels really cheap to me in my hands and I am not to sure I like the D3000. Furthermore, I have really been pulled by Pentax, and by pulled I mean attracted to. I dont know why but I know I will fall in love with there cameras. What are some personal reviews on the K2000? I am not too sure about the K2000 since it is pretty new. Finally I plan to photograph mostly snowboarding and action shots so I am going to need a camera with fast AF, good low light, and fast FPS, and a solid well built camera. Which is why I love the K200d! lol

Also I found a Nikon D40 for sale, and it comes with the AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-RD lens along with the stock 18-55mm lens. It compares in price with a new Rebel XS on B&H photos. Would this be the best deal because I will have a lens with the camera? Would it be better to buy new or used? Hope I get some great answers and Thanks for the help!

Ebay is your freind,

Pentax K200D, great deals on Digital Cameras, SLR, Professional on eBay!

Look at this listing: Pentax K200D 10.2 DSLR Camera Kit *NEW-DEMO* - eBay (item 270466851663 end time Nov-06-09 09:12:24 PST)

Personally the camera I would put up to that pentax to compare is the D3000, if the XS feels cheap in your hands dont buy it, its all about your decision, and personally I dont like sony cameras. The D3000 will give you more first party lens choice for the future though. And that basically rules out the D40.

Im buying the D3000 body soon, you can look up camera reviews.

Im a snowboarder too :lol: :D

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the advice man, lol Gotta Love Snowboarding!

Furthermore, I found a Canon XSi for $530 and a Nikon D3000 for the same price. Meaning in stuck again lol between the XSi, D3000, and K200d. What are the significant differences?

Not to bash them, but fast autofocus has never been a Pentax strength. Even Pentax's current flagship, the K7, does not seem comparable with its classmates from anon or Nikon, according to this Michael Reichmann field report.

Pentax K7 Hands On

Not to bash them, but fast autofocus has never been a Pentax strength. Even Pentax's current flagship, the K7, does not seem comparable with its classmates from anon or Nikon, according to this Michael Reichmann field report.

Pentax K7 Hands On
+1

If you want AF speed and accuracy, you should look at Nikon or Canon in the price range in which you're shopping.

Can I find a website with a comparison of photos taken by each camera?

If you want AF speed and accuracy, you should look at Nikon or Canon in the price range in which you're shopping.

I already posted all three cameras are around $530

Is the G1 worth the buy even though they dont have very many lenses?

I really like the G1 except for the lack of lenses? any problems with the camera?

along with the stock 18-55mm lens

That's a cracking bit of glass, i bought one on its own (not part of the kit) and it performs better than some of the "pro" lenses i own. It certainly does not deserve to be a "kit" lens

Most reactions

Back