Buying a reflector

Inlights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.inlights.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm buying my first reflector. With all the options I don't know where to begin. I want one for full body outdoor/indoor use.

You mean a collapsible type?

I bought a large circular one on ebay for super cheap. I can't tell you if it's as good as any others, but it seems to do the job for me.

I'd say for doing full-length portraits outside, you'll need at least a 60".

Cheapos can be had on fleabay... even 5-in-1s (white, black, silver, gold & diffuser).

Check out the options from Lastolite. The TriGrip series are spot on. California Sunbounce (sp) might be another option.

Do brand names matter, or are they all pretty much the same other than size?

I don't have much experience with them, but I would think, in terms of use, they're the same. Quality, as in how long they'll last, might be a different story.

If you're shooting outdoors, you'll need some sort of stand...... or an assistant.

There's not much in life you don't get what you pay for. They're not hugely expensive. Cal SunBounce are more but they also kick ass

I don't have much experience with them, but I would think, in terms of use, they're the same. Quality, as in how long they'll last, might be a different story.

If you're shooting outdoors, you'll need some sort of stand...... or an assistant.

Thats my biggest gripe with mine. They catch as much wind as an umbrella on a stand, and my GF gets tired of holding the reflector after a while

If you use a stand , don't forget the Sand/Shot bags, You'll get tired of picking it up

Here's a 40x60 kit on ebay for $24.95 free shipping. NEW 40" X 60" 5 IN 1 COLLAPSIBLE PHOTO REFLECTOR KIT | eBay Those 40x60s as good as the round ones?

Here's one advertised as a 43 inch but if you read further down in his ad he states 24 inch. Not sure what is going on there. I emailed him and asked him. 43" Light Mulit Collapsible disc 5 in 1 Reflector 110cm | eBay

Here's a 43 inch 5 in 1 for $12.59 and $8.99 for shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/43-110CM-5-...tu=UCC&otn=15&ps=63&clkid=5905376693642233902 I just purchased one of these...

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reflectors reflect. Even the cheap ones.
True, but they don't all reflect the same. Just because two reflectors look like they have the same white surface does NOT mean that they will reflect the same. One of the things that you are paying for and getting with Lasolite, Photoflex, etc is a higher-quality, longer wearing reflective surface which will NOT reflect unwanted colour casts onto your subject. Quality is worth paying for!

Most reactions

Back