Buying a tripod in Canada

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm currently living in Canada (Fernie, BC) and I'm wanting to buy a new tripod, but I'm having trouble finding a good deal here in Canada. I was looking at this particular model TRACKER 4 Vanguard Tracker 4, Magnesium Alloy Tripod & PH-55 Panhead with Quick Release, Maximum Height 74", Supports 22 lbs which I think is a good enough tripod for a good price, but the 70 odd dollars of shipping and tax really kills it for me. Being newish to the whole Canadian import duty scheme, can someone recommend me a way around it, or a Canadian site that ships without tax?
I'm somewhat limited to having to buy online because it's being bought for me from overseas, and also there isn't much around Fernie in terms of camera stores.

Weren't you in Lord of the Rings/Hobbit territory before? How are you liking Canada?

Weren't you in Lord of the Rings/Hobbit territory before? How are you liking Canada?

Yeah, I was in New Zealand, then Melbourne, then Asia for a while, then Europe for a bit and now I'm Canada until at least the end of winter. Then hopefully continuing the nomadic lifestyle in the USA for a while, followed by Mexico and further adventures in South America. That's if I don't run out of money here, which I inevitably will while getting paid $9.75 an hour working for the ski hill....

Have you tried Henry's?

Sidebar: Where in Fernie? I lived there in the early 70s... great area.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look through there.
Currently I'm staying at the Central, but moving to the Ridgemont area tomorrow. Yes, it is a great area, but it's a depressing place to be when there's a metre of powder falling falling in a day and you're limping around on a twisted knee :(

Have you considered the Camera Store?

I'm actually planning a trip to Fernie to ride sometime this winter, if you're not in a rush to get it, I could always bring t to you. Help save on shipping.

I found them to be quite reasonable in comparison with exchange rates and all, you end up paying the same if you would get it shipped from the states.

Edit: just noticed its being purchased for you.

...it's a depressing place to be when there's a metre of powder falling falling in a day and you're limping around on a twisted knee :(
I can see that... when I lived there, Snow Valley was one of the top-rated hills in North America.

I'm actually planning a trip to Fernie to ride sometime this winter, if you're not in a rush to get it, I could always bring t to you. Help save on shipping.

I found them to be quite reasonable in comparison with exchange rates and all, you end up paying the same if you would get it shipped from the states.

Thanks kindly for the offer but yeah it's being purchased for me and I'm also impatient so want to get it sent here as soon as possible. Life without a decent tripod just isn't worth living :lol: I actually have a gorillapod SLR which was great, except that after a couple months of use basically half of the ball joints have cracked so the thing is flimsier than a wet dishcloth now.

I'm now thinking about puchasing this one here: Polaroid 65" Ultra-Light Carbon Fiber Tripod - NEW | eBay Does anybody have any thoughts about it? Seems like a good price for basically just what I need.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, check out The Camera Store, also McBain Camera and Vistek for in-Canada options.

Thanks kindly for the offer but yeah it's being purchased for me and I'm also impatient so want to get it sent here as soon as possible. Life without a decent tripod just isn't worth living :lol: I actually have a gorillapod SLR which was great, except that after a couple months of use basically half of the ball joints have cracked so the thing is flimsier than a wet dishcloth now.

I'm now thinking about puchasing this one here: Polaroid 65" Ultra-Light Carbon Fiber Tripod - NEW | eBay Does anybody have any thoughts about it? Seems like a good price for basically just what I need.

If you're going to spend that much, you might as well get a Manfrotto with an adjustable center column IMO. Can't remember the specific model name, but it's very versatile.

There is a decent camera store in Missoula, and there must be something in Calgary.

I know these are both long drives for a tripod...

If you're going to spend that much, you might as well get a Manfrotto with an adjustable center column IMO. Can't remember the specific model name, but it's very versatile.

The polaroid one I linked has an adjustable centre column by the looks does it not? It says in the description 'locking centre column' which I assume means it can be adjusted. Plus it has dual levels, retractable spiked feet (nice), easy leg locking levers, centre column hook, 20lb load rating and its carbon fiber for the bling factor haha. It's also nice and tall and has a decent looking ball head. This ad has better pictures in it http://www.ebay.ca/itm/POLAROID-TRIPOD-65-PHOTO-VIDEO-PRO-CARBON-PLTRIC-/130631556869?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item1e6a3f5f05#ht_5595wt_975
If you can point me in the direction of a better option for under $200 then I'll gladly look but this one ticks all the boxes for the right price. I just hope the build quality is decent on it.

This is the one I was thinking of... I thought it was around $130 USD, turns out it's $160.

Manfrotto 055XPROB Aluminum Tripod Legs (Black) 055XPROB B&H

Look at the photos of it though. The horizontal center column is definitely pretty cool. It might tickle your fancy.

Disclaimer: I haven't used one, but this is the Tripod that I will likely get when the time comes. Just for the versatility.

This is the one I was thinking of... I thought it was around $130 USD, turns out it's $160.

Manfrotto 055XPROB Aluminum Tripod Legs (Black) 055XPROB B&H

Look at the photos of it though. The horizontal center column is definitely pretty cool. It might tickle your fancy.

Disclaimer: I haven't used one, but this is the Tripod that I will likely get when the time comes. Just for the versatility.

That's the one I have and I like it very much.

You're right, that centre column is very cool but when I add in the cost of shipping and taxes plus having to buy a seperate head it comes in at double the price of the polaroid one which sort of rules it out unfortunately. As cool as the centre column thing is, I don't think there are a huge number of scenarios I would use it in, and the polaroid one still has some pretty decently adjustable leg angles anyway.

You're right, that centre column is very cool but when I add in the cost of shipping and taxes plus having to buy a seperate head it comes in at double the price of the polaroid one which sort of rules it out unfortunately. As cool as the centre column thing is, I don't think there are a huge number of scenarios I would use it in, and the polaroid one still has some pretty decently adjustable leg angles anyway.

Yeah I understand why price, shipping, and all that jazz would rule it out...

But I can't believe you don't think you'd find uses for the horizontal center column. I am just imagining all the ridiculous angles you could get doing night time photography. :lmao:

Most reactions

Back