buying a used camera yes or a no

Joshjay2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to sell me their D90 but my two front runner cameras are D3300 and D5200 I think she wants about 350 for the D90 and I'm not sure I kind of lens she's going to include I'll find out more soon.. but any thoughts on buying a used camera ? I read up that it came out in 2008 so I I'm feeling like that's a really old camera even if it was good when it came out..almost 8 years ago!!

I would not want a D90 these days when the D3200 or D5200 have newer, better sensors. $350 seems like a lot of money for a D90, unless it has quite a good lens on it...meaning a lens that is vastly underpriced, and which she is taking a huge loss on. She might have a really good, somewhat expensive lens on the camera, but if it is something low-end like an 18-55 kit zoom, $350 is far too much money for a camera of that vintage, with its sensor limitations. The D90 was good--when it came out, but newer models have surpassed it in video, stills, dynamic range, and so on. The biggest difference now is that the resolution has gone up to 24 million pixels, and the usable ISO range has gone up to 6,400, or higher, depending on how one defines usable.

In my area at walk-in retail, a D90 body is $175 or so. Prices on older d-slr bodies are pretty low. D40 bodies are bringing $99 used. I've bought a number of used Nikon bodies, and have generally been pleased. At KEH.com, a used, excellent condition D90 with a battery and a charger is $228. NIKON D90 DIGITAL CAMERA BODY {12.3 M/P} - KEH Camera so...again....the LENS she has with it determines if this is a deal, or a no-sale kind of situation.

I would run to the D5200 and wouldn't look back.
D90-old, yesterdays camera.

Unfortunately the D3x00 and D5X00 series of Nikon cameras lack features even an old, yesterdays D90 has.
• A second Command wheel
• A top LCD
• More external controls so you don't have to 'menu dive' as much.
• Flash Commander mode.
• A pentaprism instead of pentamirrors.

It's not just about the image sensor.
There are other considerations as far as usability, ergonomics features, functions, and capabilities.

A used D700 would have the features and capabilities the D3x00 and D5x00 lack, and a newer more capable image sensor than a D90 has.
Used D7000's can be had with a Nikon AF-S 18-105 mm f/3/5-5.6G for $530 to $550.
Nikon D7000 16.2 MP with 18-105mm

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with KmH. I had D90 and can tell you that it's a very capable camera. Even it's sensor isn't new but it lets use ISO up to 800 with no serious degradation (for my eye). But 2 comand dials top LCD and flash comand mode it's really big deal. Old sensor isn't a problem with good light it even makes you pay more attention to what you shoot and how you do it.

You should be able to find a comparison web site where you can look at the technical specs for each camera or lens. Though I wouldn't personally get too hung up on specs - they exist only on paper and are not really indicative of what you can do with any piece of equipment.

I'd say it first depends on what you want from a camera purchase. Obviously an older digital camera will lack features - and specs - of a newer DSLR. Yet, as a learning tool or as a back up camera you won't worry about taking chances with, an older DSLR can be useful. What are you thinking about with this camera? A primary camera? OK for that, if you are a student. A toss it in the car and go everywhere camera? Yeah, why not? The image quality is sufficient to produce smaller prints - I easily remember when these specs were said to be all we'd ever need.

Any more than about $175 though seems too much unless your friend is tosing in a good deal on a lens and a few lessons on photography. Even then, $350 is pretty much absurd IMO.

For only slightly more you should be able to find a D300/D300s which is a far more capable camera than the D90.

LOL, with all the different contradicting replies here you really cant get any true answer.
The true answer is in your eyes only, YOU will have to decide what you want as you are the only one that knows what really is best for you.

Good luck.

LOL, with all the different contradicting replies here you really cant get any true answer.
The true answer is in your eyes only, YOU will have to decide what you want as you are the only one that knows what really is best for you.

Good luck.
Sound advice! Spend some time searching Craig's List and similar 'sites for local sales on used DSLRs, as well as contacting any local bricks and mortar stores that sell used gear. "Completed sales" on eBay is also an excellent indicator of market value. I agree with the earlier assertions that $350 for a D90, unless it has a very good lens is higher than I would think reasonable.

Good luck.
Sound advice! Spend some time searching Craig's List and similar 'sites for local sales on used DSLRs, as well as contacting any local bricks and mortar stores that sell used gear. "Completed sales" on eBay is also an excellent indicator of market value. I agree with the earlier assertions that $350 for a D90, unless it has a very good lens is higher than I would think reasonable.
I sold my 16k actuation D7100 for 450$ (CAN) which is a MUCH better camera then the D90

.. any thoughts on buying a used camera ?
If I had it to do over, I would buy a used camera and lens, just not that deal.

Purchase from a reputable company, get the condition and shutter count before you buy. Ask about a seller's warranty (which I would expect to be 30 days from date of sale) and the return policy.

Personally, I would not purchase from a stranger online for whom I could not verify the customer satisfaction rating.

If you decide to go for D90, find several much better deals online and show it to your friend, she might reconsider the price. $350 is way too much these days, unless there is an expensive lense attached.
D90 has some more useful features for an advanced or intermediate photographer, but for a beginner, in my opinion, a better low light image quality of the modern D5200 sensor outweighs it.
Bear in mind that D90 will give you less margin for error when it comes to exposure, D5200 with its higher dynamic range will allow you to make amends in post production, recovering blown highlights or pulling shadows.
Between D90 and D5200 (even D5100) there was a significant leap in sensor quality, and believe me, working ISO 800 and working ISO 6400 is a HUGE difference.
A used camera in good condition from a reputable seller is always a great deal, no problems with that whatsoever.

Good luck.
There is no 1 true answer.

sashbar said:
If you decide to go for D90, find several much better deals online and show it to your friend, she might reconsider the price. $350 is way too much these days, unless there is an expensive lense attached.
D90 has some more useful features for an advanced or intermediate photographer, but for a beginner, in my opinion, a better low light image quality of the modern D5200 sensor outweighs it.
Bear in mind that D90 will give you less margin for error when it comes to exposure, D5200 with its higher dynamic range will allow you to make amends in post production, recovering blown highlights or pulling shadows.
Between D90 and D5200 (even D5100) there was a significant leap in sensor quality, and believe me, working ISO 800 and working ISO 6400 is a HUGE difference.
A used camera in good condition from a reputable seller is always a great deal, no problems with that whatsoever.

^^THIS^^ articulates every single thought I had about this D90 deal, and why a newer, better sensor camera makes much more sense. People can drone on about one command wheel versus a second command wheel, but the fact is Aperture-priority automatic is the fastest, easiest way to shoot, and the NEW-sensor cameras, with Sony or TOshiba sensors, sensors like the one in the D5200, have an AUTO-ISO feature that is actually, genuinely, undoubtedly USABLE across a wide ISO range; the same thing is utterly not true of the outdated sensor in the D90. There's been a huge leap in image quality since the D90 was made. Being locked at ISO 800 or lower with a D90 is a HUGE disadvantage to the beginner or owner of small,light, DX zoom lenses. Being able to shoot at ISO 6400 and not have the photos be utter feces means three more full EV of effective f/stop when the light suck, or three more full EV of shutter speed--nine more 'clicks' more of motion-stopping...this is the difference between crap images, and images you'll be proud to show people. But yeah...that D90 does have that second command wheel for the people who **insist** on shooting like it's 1977.

AUTO ISO in Manual mode is the new way to shoot smart--IF you have a camera with a new-generation sensor made by Sony or Toshiba. But even in Aperture-priority auto, one only needs to actually control one,single exposure parameter most of the time. I shoot in Aperture priority a LOT,and have 40 years' worth of experience. It works. It is much like manual, only faster, easier, and less-prone to inducing exposure errors--especially for a beginner.

So...some say the D90 has more and better features than say, a D5200. Wellll..the OPPOSITE is actually true as well.
Compare the Nikon D5200 vs the Nikon D90

The D5200 shoots Full HD video, 1080p, at 60 fps; D90 shoots 720p at 24 fps. The D5200 has 20% better image quality; the D5200 has higher resolution at 24 MP vs 12MP. The D5200 has in-camera HDR. The D5200 has a better,newer,more-capable AF system with 39 AF points and a newer module, the D90 has 11-area AF an an AF module designed in 2007 or so. The D5200 shoots faster 5 FPS vs 4.5 FPS. The D5200's ISO boost is FOUR stops higher than the D90's. The D5200 has deeper, richer color, 24.7 bits versus 22.7 bits The D5200 has wider dynamic range 13.9 stops versus 12.5 stops for the D90. The D5200 has contrast-detect autofocusing for video shooting: the D90 does not. The D5200 has an external microphone jack, so you can actually shoot and record DECENT AUDIO...the D90 has no microphone jack. THe D5200 has a flip-out screen for low-angle shooting...the D90 does not.

The D5200 has NINE...count-em, NINE cross-type autofocusing squares...the D90 has one cross-type AF square. The D5200 is around 20% lighter in weight. The D5200 is on huge price reductions right now, both new and refurbished, as well as used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back