Buying First Digital SLR?

Those car pics are brilliant!

Man I am looking at that XSi more and more but my only dumb problem is I kinda wanted to go with nikon lenses and oneday upgrade to a D300 or D700 so that is a problem! Man I cant decide!!! I hate deciding some times. I am going back to the stores tomorrow to look at all the cameras again and hold them and try to lock in on one. I have researched and I really do like some of the DX VR lenses from Nikon! I think that right there might force me to buy the D90 atleast?

As a Bonus I might have the chance to buy some of my uncles Nikon Lenses for cheap! that is another reason for me to stay with Nikon.

Looking at different sites it seems to me that Canon Lenses all cost more than Nikon?

Anyone agree or disagree?

Since I don't shoot Nikon, I don't have any clue what their prices are like. I did just look up a few lenses though.

Make sure you are comparing lenses of the same quality.

The Nikon 50mm f/1.4 is currently $470 at B&H, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 is $400 (which is almost $100 more than I paid 2 years ago).

Nikon 85mm f/1.8 $450, Canon 85mm f/1.8 $380.

Keep in mind though that Canon lenses do not come with a lens hood - only the "L" lenses do; as far as I know, all Nikon lenses come with one.
A hood is typically somewhere around 10% of the cost of the lens it's made for (but don't hold me to that).

yeah i think most if not all nikon lenses aside from the kit lenes come with a pouch and a hood. I know my nikon AF-s DX VR zoom-nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 came with it.

I need a camera NOW !!!! Dammit!!! LOL !!! I am getting impatient!

Take your time, trust me something like a camera purchase shouldn't be rushed. I know its not what you want to hear haha because when I was looking for one I didnt want someone telling me to take my time. I looked, saved my money and researched for about 4 months before pulling the trigger on a 30D

Hey that brings up a questions does the D90 have a remote or plug in shutter release?
Any question you have about what kind of accessories are available for the D90 can be answered here (just click on the Accessories tab).
Man I am looking at that XSi more and more but my only dumb problem is I kinda wanted to go with nikon lenses and oneday upgrade to a D300 or D700 so that is a problem! Man I cant decide!!! I hate deciding some times. I am going back to the stores tomorrow to look at all the cameras again and hold them and try to lock in on one. I have researched and I really do like some of the DX VR lenses from Nikon! I think that right there might force me to buy the D90 atleast?

As a Bonus I might have the chance to buy some of my uncles Nikon Lenses for cheap! that is another reason for me to stay with Nikon.
If that's the case, get the D90. It's a great camera.
Looking at different sites it seems to me that Canon Lenses all cost more than Nikon?

Anyone agree or disagree?
Depends which lenses you're looking at. From what I've seen, the high end Nikon lenses generally seem to cost more than the Canon "L" lenses...but I've never done a lens by lens comparison.
I need a camera NOW !!!! Dammit!!! LOL !!! I am getting impatient!
Since you originally wanted to go with Nikon I think you should stick to that plan. Get the D90 and be happy.

To answer a few Questions
Budget is about $3000 if I wait till January of next year

Budget is about $1500 to $1800 if I want it in the next month or so!

Here is what I plan to take pics of to start!
Random people, Cars and Trucks, and Weather shots, like Lightning, and storm clouds.

Later I would like to try Macro and Sports later but for now I will start with the above!

$3k in January, huh? Wait till then and get some nice pro glass.

D200 + Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR = $2500 and amazing shots.

To answer a few Questions
Budget is about $3000 if I wait till January of next year

Budget is about $1500 to $1800 if I want it in the next month or so!

Here is what I plan to take pics of to start!
Random people, Cars and Trucks, and Weather shots, like Lightning, and storm clouds.

Later I would like to try Macro and Sports later but for now I will start with the above!

$3k in January, huh? Wait till then and get some nice pro glass.

D200 + Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR = $2500 and amazing shots.

But then I am stuck with nothing but my little P80 and that was bought for my wife and she claims as hers

I want my own!????

But then I am stuck with nothing but my little P80 and that was bought for my wife and she claims as hers

I want my own!????
If you really want a DSLR now go out and buy one now. Why wait? The sooner you pick up your DSLR the sooner you'll be able to start shooting.

Most reactions

Back