Buying Lens off Craigslist?

DogGoneGood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was planning to purchase the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens off Amazon in a week or two, for $125, plus shipping. Looking on my local Craigslist a minute ago, I just noticed that someone has this lens for sale for $88. They said, "Mint Condition w/Original Front and Rear Lens Caps" and have a couple photo's of it.

It's a good deal price wise, saves me the shipping costs and the waiting time on getting it. But, what should I look for if I decide to buy the lens from them? I know about obvious things like scratches or marks on the lens. Anything else? I'm still learning about lenses and everything, so I don't want to go buy this lens and then get it home only to realize that something is wrong with it.

Well, what I would do is bring your camera with you and try the lens on it. Put your camera in Av and take a few shots wide open, stop down to f/2.8 and take a photo, 5.6 etc. Look make sure it autofocuses and check the front and rear lens elements to make sure there are no scratches. It's a 100 dollar lens. It will feel cheap in your hands, but it's a good lens to learn on. Just don't drop it. It will probably fall into two pieces.

Well $125 is too much anyway... you should be able to get it used just about anywhere for $100 or less (Amazon not included...for some reason the price is super high there...used is the same price as brand new).

But I'd definitely be fine buying from Craiglist. I've sold lenses on Craigslist before and I'd be fine buying there too. It gives you the opportunity to try out the lens before buying it, which is more than you can say for most online sources. I've had to spend $30+ to ship back lenses that I wasn't happy with after buying from eBay (usually because of defects from poor use that weren't listed)...with Craigslist you're only losing money for gas.

I've bought and sold multiple lenses on craigslist, never had any problems. Some people are paranoid about buying used, but as long as you test it out you should be fine.

I've bought 3 lenses from craigslist. 2 of them were above $1000. I wouldn't sweat it. Just try it? Look at the photo on LCD and zoom in. Also bring a flashlight with you and look at front and rear elements.

John's "How to buy a used lens":

Buying used lenses is a great way to save money and get better gear than you normally would. All but two of my lenses have been bought used with nary a problem.

Always make sure that you review the lens on-line especially if it's something more on the unusual side. Like cars, some lenses are prone to certain issue, and knowing what to look for ahead of time can save you a lot of grief. As well, know what prices are common, check eBay, used gear stores etc.

When you first meet with the seller, look at the lens carefully. What is the condition of the exterior? Is is scraped or scratched? Is the filter-ring damaged (always ensure you know what diameter filter the lens takes and bring a filter with you). If a filter won't screw on easily, question the seller, it's usually a good indication that the lens has been dropped or banged hard. The price should reflect this ('though I would likely walk away at this point).

Ensure you have a small penlight and look through the lens from both ends; look for any odd refractions which might indication displacement or separation of internal elements or fungus growing inside (not uncommon in older lenses). A little internal dust is nothing to worry about. Hold the light against each end element at various angles to look for cleaning damange, scuffs, swirl-marks etc. Again, I would walk away if there are any; this is an indication someone didn't know how to care for the lens.

Close the aperture (if you don't already, check to ensure you know which pin on the lens operates the aperture) and watch it carefully. When you let the pin go, it should snap back quickly and evenly; look for any signs of oil or residue on the blades. When they're closed, do they form an even pattern, or do one or more appear to not be in the same position? If so, you know what to do here.

Smell the lens carefully. Sound funny? Probably, BUT if a lens has been stored somewhere damp (especially an older lens) you may smell a damp, moldy/mildew smell. Again, you know what to do if you think there's any indication of that.

Mount the lens on your camera; ensure that it functions correctly in ALL modes, take and CHECK test shots in manual mode at all apertures. Mount and unmount the lens several times, ensuring that it feels smooth and doesn't catch. Manually focus the lens and operate the aperture ring (if so fitted) if it's a zoom, operate that. These functions should feel smooth and positive. If there's slop, grinding, or points at which something feels wrong, walk away. Ensure you do this with the camera in normal shooting position, upside down, lens pointed up, down, etc. often a problem can manifest itself in one position and not in others.

Good tips, John. Didn't even think to "sniff the lens". But I do regularly smell the glove.

I wish I could be so trusting. The only time I have looked at a lens off of Kijiji the guy tried to swindle me. The mount had a small crack in it. Which I almost didn't notice till my camera was tipped down but then you could see it pulling away from the ring.

I don't understand what the concern is. Someone has a lens for sale, and you're interested. So what if it's Craiglist, Kijiji, an ad in the pennysaver, or you see it at a garage sale or flea market.

If you're a smart & prudent buyer, you'll take the necessary steps to check the lens out. If it's not all it's cracked up to be (pun intended), you're under no obligation to continue. If there's a minor problem, maybe you can fix it, or know where to take it to get fixed and can use the 'defect' to negotiate a better price. If it has serious flaws, then politely walk away.

I wish I could be so trusting. The only time I have looked at a lens off of Kijiji the guy tried to swindle me. The mount had a small crack in it. Which I almost didn't notice till my camera was tipped down but then you could see it pulling away from the ring.

You do have to be careful, but the savings are worth it - I've bought all of my glass except for my 24-70 2.8 and 50 1.4 used, and never had a problem. In fact, the 24-70 is the only lens that I've ever had to send back for warranty work.

For sure, I prefer now to look at buying used from my camera store if I can. They are pretty decent on used gear, I always have my eye out there.

Most reactions

Back