Buying New Lens

Dingerkingh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Guys:

I have a Nikon D5200 that I am looking to purchase a new lens to take some quality portraits of our new baby coming in June and the family. I have read that the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G AF-S Nikkor FX Lens is decent for the price. Are there other lenses that I should be considering for this? I am quite new to photography and just want to make sure I am not missing a much better option. Currently - I only have the stock lens that shipped with the camera kit. Should I be looking into other brands or is the Nikkor decent stuff?

Thanks for any guidance!

DH

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Guys:

I have a Nikon D5200 that I am looking to purchase a new lens to take some quality portraits of our new baby coming in June and the family. I have read that the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G AF-S Nikkor FX Lens is decent for the price. Are there other lenses that I should be considering for this? I am quite new to photography and just want to make sure I am not missing a much better option. Currently - I only have the stock lens that shipped with the camera kit. Should I be looking into other brands or is the Nikkor decent stuff?

Thanks for any guidance!

DH

The Nikon 50 mm F/1.8 would be my recommendation. I have one myself and for it's price I don't think you'll really find a better portrait lens.

Ok - great. Thanks for your thoughts!
Hey Guys:

Thanks for any guidance!

DH

The Nikon 50 mm F/1.8 would be my recommendation. I have one myself and for it's price I don't think you'll really find a better portrait lens.

Nikon kit lens are not bad,especially for a someone new to photography.. I would save my money for diapers!!!! Congratulations on you new baby in june......(oh, the 50mm 1:8 is a great lens)

consider the tamron 28 -75mm if on a budget,,no vr but at very sharp lens and f/2.8 through the focal range you will get decent bokeh,ive been very impressed with it,maybe just wide enough at 28mm for group shots,.Bit slow on the focus but a good budget lens

Last edited:
just wait till i start finishing your sandwhiches.

For crop sensor camera the 50mm 1.8G is just fine.
For its price range you cant beat it but of course if money is not an issue then the Nikon 85mm 1.8G will be better then the 50mm and then the Nikon 85mm 1.4G will be even better then the 1.8G
It never really ends, the Nikon 50mm 1.8G will do the job well for a very reasonable price.

Not exactly a baby portrait mind you but about as close as I get..

20140222_497 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

Lol.

That was taken in really horrible lighting conditions with the 50 mm 1.8 AF-S G. It really is a great lens
As always buddy your animal shots never stop to amaze me, I wish I lived close to you, we could have a TON of fun going to the zoo together for a photo shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back