Buying new (to me) equipment

niccig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.niccigilland.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I've finally managed to get into one of the evening sections of Photo I (black and white film) at the university I work at, so it's time to get some equipment - the program doesn't provide cameras, which gives me a good excuse to buy one :wink:
I bought a camera from eBay about a week ago, and that didn't go so well (shutter wouldn't fire). I still am going to go with used equipment, because I want a Nikon FM2n, and I'm looking at KEH. I'm also looking for some advice. This is the stuff:

28-70 F2.8-4.3 TOKINA MACRO AIS (62) / 2 TOUCH 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS ZOOM WIDE ANGLE LENS $69.00US

FM2N CHROME WITH MF-16 DATA BACK 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY (Condition EX) $245.00US

I also plan on getting some filters (polarizer, UV, yellow) and maybe a shutter release cable. Anyhow, these are the questions I have:

1. This lens is compatible with the body, correct? I Googled it but was still pretty confused.

2. Is this lens good enough for what I'm using it for? I'm not sure if we'll be assigned certain subjects to shoot, so I tried to look for a zoom with a decent range. I do know that we won't be making any enlargements over 8x10 (unless we just want to, I guess)

3. Am I getting hosed on the price? The FM2n bodies were cheaper on eBay, but perhaps that's because there is no warranty/return policy. I'm willing to pay a bit more for that peace of mind, but I don't want to pay way more than the camera is worth. Or the lens, for that matter.

4. Is KEH a good choice? I've read some good things, but it'll make me feel better if someone confirms it.

5. Any other comments/suggestions on equipment/buying online/the meaning of life?

Thanks everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back