Buying Photoshop

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm considering starting to use Photshop to edit my pictures. So far, I have never done so. I shot only film, but now I'm starting to have the pictures in cd's at the lab, so I think this is the time to start editing them.
But before, I need to have the sofware, of course! And here comes my problem: being, as I am, an old-fashioned film user, I have NO IDEA about the different versions of Photoshop available. Which one should I go for? I'm not willing to pay a lot of money, since my editing will not be an important part of the process for me. But still I think I must have Photoshop.
I'm not afraid about using it. I have relative experience with other sofware and think that could start using the basics very easily. So my main concern is, as I say, which version to go for. Could you give some information about this to an old filmish ignorant?

Do what I did. Buy an older legit version on eBay then buy an upgrade. I started with Photoshop 3. To my knowledge, any newer upgrade version will load right on top. It's much cheaper...

Depends on whether you want to go legit or not. The link you put for ebay is for a pirated copy. If I was going to get a pirated version, I would certainly not pay money for it. I would ask around to friends if they would be willing to "lend" you the installation CD's.

Anyway, personally, if you are not already very familiar with Photoshop, I would start with Photoshop Elements 3.0. I have both CS and Elements, and outside some specialized tools such as curves, there isn't much you can't do with Elements that you can do with CS. Plus, if you never used these types of software before, it may be a bit overwhelming to start with Photoshop (CS2 is the latest version). Starting with Elements will give you a good introducting. Elements also comes with an organizer program that I think is really good.

Is there a significant difference between elements 2.0 and 3.0? I've seen that 2.0 is a real bargain

If you want a legal free photo editing software, you could always download Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/

I've never used it, but apparently it's just like Photoshop. The interface is almost exactly the same as PS so you can just use normal PS Tutorials on it.

Has anyone out there used it???

panocho said:

If you're looking for a legal version - I wouldn't buy this one you posted the link to. It looks like a burnt copy. They even mention you can't register it for technical support.

Edit: oops someone already told you this. Sorry. But they're right... If you're going to get a pirated copy, don't pay anything for it. There's plenty of free pirated versions of it floating around.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
panocho said:
Is there a significant difference between elements 2.0 and 3.0? I've seen that 2.0 is a real bargain

I've read that they made some nice upgrades on 3.0 from 2.0...things like the file browser. You should be able to find a review on-line that talks about the main differences. If you can get 3.0 but 2.0 would still be a great program to get you started.

I find that 2.0 is quite adequate for most things and is more newbie friendly than the full version of Photoshop anyway.

Wise counsel there. I don't want to scare you but Photoshop has more of a learning cliff than a learning curve and its easy to get discouraged without full manuals and a friend to help explain it all.

Go with Elements to learn the basics. You may never need more, or if you decide you DO need more you will be conversant enough to deal with it. I've been using Photoshop for years and still learn new things on a nearly daily basis.

you can download free trial copies of photoshop CS2 (CS being version 8 and CS2 being version 9) from adobe. They work for 30 days. Its a great way to see if you like it.

From what I've seen and read most of the versions of photoshop have the same feel and look, the newer ones just add more tools and work faster. I use 7.0 which I got free from Kaza. Once I get to understand this version I may purchase a newer version.

The main problem with versions 7 and earlier is they don't work well if you are shooting digital in RAW format. They made a RAW plugin for 7 but it is no longer available. These plugins now come with the newer versions. If you plan on shooting Tiff or Jpeg this will not be an issue.

K

Meysha said:
If you want a legal free photo editing software, you could always download Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/

I've never used it, but apparently it's just like Photoshop. The interface is almost exactly the same as PS so you can just use normal PS Tutorials on it.

Has anyone out there used it???

I've used the Gimp. Works well. I would recommend it as an alternative to photoshop rather than elements. It has alot of functionality and is compatably with photoshop psd files, afaik. Its free so why not give it a try. And if you have linux and an AMD64 processor, you can compile a 64 bit version.

Thanks.
I've downloaded GIMP and going to dive it a try. It seems to be enough for me, so I'll probably forget about Photoshop. Maybe in the future, though, if I find myself using this GIMP a lot and feel like upgrading.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!!

Thanks.
I've downloaded GIMP and going to give it a try. It seems to be enough for me, so I'll probably forget about Photoshop. Maybe in the future, though, if I find myself using this GIMP a lot and feel like upgrading.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back