C&C ....bring it on!

nphilbrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys-I've been lurking for awhile, but this is my first time up for C&C. I've got a Canon S5IS (bridge camera) and I'm doing everything I can to learn my camera before I go on to bigger (and better) things. Comments are appreciated and welcomed, bring it on...I can take it :lol:

5292266787_0d00de857d_b.jpg

5292269495_152d150dd4_b.jpg

5272186487_994ed7ce8d_b.jpg

Last edited:
The x's are all nice and sharp, and all have consistant exposure and white balance.

The B&W photo I can see looks to have good exposure, lacks contrast, particularly in the mid-tones, and is fairly static and uninteresting from a compositional perspective. I would bet it was made using the in-camera mono setting, rather than being converted to B&W from a color photo.

The one color photo seems to have a slight yellow cast from being shot with a camera white balance setting inappropriate for the scene.

A somewhat lower camera perspective and/or having her raise her chin upwards some would have made the photo stronger, as would have having her turn her head so eye white could be seen on both sides of her iris in the near eye.

So...(this is my beginner naivete)...is it *better* to convert to b&w from a color shot?

Agree with Keith's comments. With respect to the question of monochrome conversion, all images start out as colour images, and it's a question of whether you let the camera do the work, or do it yourself. Best results are usually achevieved by doing it in post-processing. Ideally, shoot in RAW and go from there. If you spend a little time searching on-line, you can find dozens of tutorials on the subject.

uugghhh that's the issue with my camera...I *can't* shoot RAW, otherwise I would. But, I really appreciate the B&W clarification...that makes sense now.

I fixed the links...

Thanks Emily!
:lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back