C&C - First time with slide film

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by michaeljamesphoto, Mar 23, 2012.

1. michaeljamesphoto

michaeljamesphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I shot a roll of Provia 100F through my Nikon FG back in Dec 2011 without really reading up much on slide film. All I really knew was that saturation was going to be awesome if I exposed correctly, and I must expose correctly...
    Normally I educate myself more before shooting new films, or anything really, but I tried it out anyway.
    Scanned on an Epson V500 at school, I really don't know anything about scanning so...
    This was at dawn in the desert, the sun was just about to come up over the ridge
    $Provia Sunrise med.jpg
    I adjusted the tone a little in CS5 to give the sky a slightly more purple tint, but no edits besides that.
    Anyway, opinions?

2. QuadTap

QuadTap TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have no educated comment about slide film... can just say that is nice and clean but nothing to keep my interest more than a second for two... i wouldn't return to see it again.

3. Joel_W

Joel_W TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your chosen media of slide flim works well with proper exposure, just like digital does. Once scanned it becomes digital in nature, and thus you can do all the same edits, but you have to deal with how the scanner sees your image and translates it to digita as well. The only reason I can see for continuing with film is the lack of a DSLR camera.

As for your image, I'm assuming that it's more of a test then anything else. The lack luster cloudless sky coupled with the silhouetted foreground doesn't make for a truly outstanding photograph. Good, but just not great.

4. Frequency

Frequency Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    There is one dark region, one light region...and they together make a good image; i liked the tint you added; i like it with my simple heart,without subjecting to any analysis :D

5. michaeljamesphoto

michaeljamesphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot film because I like the physical results, and the patience involved with the process. The digital masses are growing, and I am just swimming against the current. I had a DSLR and I sold it. Call me crazy...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very short sighted, IMO.

Clean, good exposure - but I agree that it just doesn't interest me much... But, I don't usually like landscapes all that much, so don't let that bother you.

Frequency - I don't think he added any tint... I'm assuming what you are referring to is just a combination of the color of the sky and the characteristics of film he chose to photograph this with.

7. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    From the OP: "I adjusted the tone a little in CS5 to give the sky a slightly more purple tint, but no edits besides that."

8. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK, so it was "edited", like we all know all pictures you can see are. Doesn't really sound like anything a lab tech couldn't have done...

9. Crollo

Crollo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Because of course every single DSLR camera matches 'full frame' film.