C&C For a 15 year old newbie!

Not saying you. Just in general some people have seemed to use it as an excuse and in a different way.
I really like your shots though, you seem to have a great eye. Keep the pics coming!

Thanks! Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap lens (preferably a tele) that would be good for macro? I had my eye on a Sigma 70-300 DG Super for $150... that or a 55-200 Nikon for $150...

I was looking at those same two lenses when I was eciding what camera body to get and if I remember correctly the 55-200mm was a bit better.
Use the search on the side and look for both, I'm sure at least a few members have them.
I'm just using the kit lens now - but I went with Sony and I don't think they have the 55-200mm for me.

Good luck - either lens should be good for you! Do you have any special needs on the focal lengths?

I would like to be able to take good close ups for events and also have a good lens for some minor wildlife shots of some birds and bugs, but nothing serious though. I don't get how some people can justify spending $2000 just for a 500mm f/2.8... so... much... MONEY!!!

EDIT: Oh, and can anyone help me choose the best image out of these? I want to enter a contest (no theme).

I don't get how some people can justify spending $2000 just for a 500mm f/2.8... so... much... MONEY!!!

when its what you do for a living, its very easy to justify that.. you want to get the best photos you can for your clients.. so, you need to spend the money on good glass.. its no different than a contractor buying a $2000 saw instead of a $50 saw.. even if you're a hobbist who has the funds... why not have good gear if your able to have it?

BUT.. you're only 15.. so to you $2000 is a lot of money.. in my eyes $2000 is a nice chunk of change, but, its really not a lot of money when i look at my bills that i pay on a monthly basis..

I just read a Nature Photographer magazine, all these people who just do it as a hobby have these $2000+ lenses (usually more than one) and the total cost of the gear must be just as much as a pro. It scares me.

One last question: what would be the best budget Speedlite? I can get an SB-30 for $125 local, is that a good deal?

One last question: what would be the best budget Speedlite? I can get an SB-30 for $125 local, is that a good deal?

i use sb50's got them for 50 bucks each.. i love them

Thanks! Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap lens (preferably a tele) that would be good for macro? I had my eye on a Sigma 70-300 DG Super for $150... that or a 55-200 Nikon for $150...

I had one of those sigma lenses - it was rubbish, I wouldn't recommend it. They are cheap for a reason.

I just read a Nature Photographer magazine, all these people who just do it as a hobby have these $2000+ lenses (usually more than one) and the total cost of the gear must be just as much as a pro. It scares me.

Well if it's something you like to do, then it's something you like to do. If you go on this website, www.1x.com, you'll be surprised to know that the majority of the people who have photos on that website are not professional photographers. Yet they spend thousands of dollars in investment for Canon 5D Mark II's and Nikon D700's and even Nikon D60's. If you want to take photography seriously and to it's fullest potential, then it's not unusual for you to be spending $2000 on lenses. Of course then again, gear is not what makes the picture, but you do.

i'm under 18 and the only reason i post my age is to suggest a rough budget when asking about equipment...and this

:lol: Yeah...
I'd have to save up a while to get even a $500 lens...Still with the kit lens.
I was pretty sure the sigma 70-300 wasn't great. If you're looking to do macro AND wildlife... that's going to be somewhat hard (in your $ range). I think you're best taking one - wildlife/zoom or macro. The lenses for macro AND zoom arent great if you don't get the expensive ones. The 100mm macro I hear is very good.
Not sure about any zooms. Are you more looking into the macro part or the wildlife part?

dont really need to provide an age to provide a budget. grown ups have budgets too. :)

Welcome to a VERY expensive hobby. For a Nikon Speedlight, the SB-800 is around $220USD, the SB-900 is ~$470 (both new). You can get by with less.... :roll:

Most reactions

Back