What's new

C&C my marbles

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
2,591
Reaction score
375
Location
Barnsley, Oop-Nooerth, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Really need your thoughts on this image.
What's good, what's bad, and what is not right. Let me know if I should ditch it.

I am having a difficult time finding time to shoot decent images for an upcoming competition with the theme "glass"...hence messing with the kids toys for 5 minutes.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. :)


Ruby's Marbles sRGB by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
 
The color is good. POV and comp are lacking IMO. The image also seems very soft. No point actually jumps out as the focal point.


Glass can be a tough substance to capture well just due to its reflective/transparent nature. I would suggest picking up a circular polarizer to help remove or enhance the reflections as best suited for the image.
 
Glass, chrome, mirrors or any highly reflective surface is difficult to shoot because of its reflective nature to light sources. I think the three windows in your shot are evidence enough to demonstrate. Obviously, multiple speed lights / strobes and a light tent would be my first suggestion. But the question is..... what do you have to work with for lighting and directing the light?
 
Thanks AI
Thanks kundalini.

Light-wise, I have very little...I have a few old flash guns, but they are very difficult to get right...all manual of course. I shot a few more last night using a little block with 3 LEDs in it...it's supposed to be for putting a crystal on...that worked quite well...just processing a few shots now. Not sure the face will make it on them, though...

The only other lighting I can use is a couple of larger studio lights, but haven't the space to set those up at the moment due to having just moved house and having "stuff" all over the place!

I'll post up some more in a little while once I process them. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom