C&C Occupy Boise

What kind of camera did you use to get the shots?

I would think protests and rallys (on either side) could be great for photos, but I would look for more character type shots, the people, the emotions they are giving off, the interactions with others, that kind of thing.

I hope this helps you. Keep taking pics.

p.s. I was told in another thread I began to only post up to about 4 pics, that it was too much to scroll through to expect people to critique a thread. I am passing it to you so in the future we both get a beter response to our posts.

Thank you so much! THIS^ is what I'm looking for! I will certainly work on getting more and hopefully better pictures up soon! Oh and I used a Fujifilm P.O.S. I'm hoping to get a DSLR soon, but since I'm a dirty hippy with no job it's kind of difficult to come up with the cash. :)

I wish you luck in your endeavors.

What kind of camera did you use? I'm new to this too, but depending on what you have there may be some settings that can really help you with photo taking so you can tell a very creative story. Photojournalism is wonderful. Your subject lends itself to that.

we arn't just going to sit on our asses smoking weed and drinking beer.

sooo you're going to stand?

and just becase this is the beginner forums doesnt mean we are beginners...(i am) but most aren't and it is more just a place to put pics to see what EVERYBODY thinks

Did you really just compare a group of people from DC to a group of people from Boise? Really? :lmao:

They are all cut from the same cloth and it's my understanding that originally all these "copy cat" camps were trying to emulate what was happening in NYC and elsewhere. So, what's the "real" difference?

DC has the highest murder rate in the nation, while 90% of people in Boise own guns for self defense. Obviously groups of people from these very different worlds are going to behave differently. The second any of the Boise occupiers step out of line BPD will clear them out of there without resistance.

My point is, don't get down on someone because they want to peacefully protest.

The murder rate here in DC is so high partly because of the uber-strict gun control laws. Don't even get me started on that. I'm a life member of the NRA.

They are all cut from the same cloth and it's my understanding that originally all these "copy cat" camps were trying to emulate what was happening in NYC and elsewhere. So, what's the "real" difference?

DC has the highest murder rate in the nation, while 90% of people in Boise own guns for self defense. Obviously groups of people from these very different worlds are going to behave differently. The second any of the Boise occupiers step out of line BPD will clear them out of there without resistance.

The murder rate here in DC is so high partly because of the uber-strict gun control laws. Don't even get me started on that. I'm a life member of the NRA.

I'm with you all the way there. I buy new guns every 6 months... But that was my point DC is nothing like Boise. :mrgreen:

Take portraits of the people in the camp. That should bring the emotion out that I think you're aiming for.

Here is an idea...every person you take a portrait of, have them empty there pockets and take a picture of whats on them in that moment...

I would love to see that, that could instantly bring a personal feel to your pictures and make them a whole lot interesting! And you can do it with your P&S!

Good luck my friend :D

You will find that the majority of the ultra-left are very pro gun. Gun control is a democrat thing.

Here is an idea...every person you take a portrait of, have them empty there pockets and take a picture of whats on them in that moment...

I would love to see that, that could instantly bring a personal feel to your pictures and make them a whole lot interesting! And you can do it with your P&S!

Good luck my friend :D

That's a great idea!

nothin? cmon guys!

ok, there are a few underlying problems. let me offer some advice.

first, there are too many pictures posted. when asking for c&c you should limit to 3-4 photos. maybe 5 if it's that necessary.

be sure to number your images. this make it easier for people to comment on your work and give you the c&c you are looking for.

the sizes are far too small. they should be 640 or larger.

give people more than an hour to respond before you get upset that noone has commented.

change your attitude a bit.

you are asking people to take their time, knowledge, and experience and pass it on to you, for free. for which many here are happy to do. how about meeting them halfway at and the very least follow the accepted guidlines above.

when someone mentioned it, you posted back and said for them to just click the thumbenails when they explained that they were too small. this simply tells them that you want something for nothing, and you aren't appreciative of it. why should they bother? this is like a kid asking for money to go to the movies, but doesn't want to take out the trash . they want something for nothing.

you will get better responses and/or treatment if you follow the guidelines.

i can assure you that some of the experienced folks probably opened this thread, saw a string of unnumbered thumbnails, and clicked the back button.

that said...

as for the photos.. none of them are very impressive. they are snap shots. not much else. if the point was to document the movement, it should have included the people. if this was not titled occupy boise, i would have though it was a homeless camp. but still without people i would have thought it was a deserted homeless camp because they were all standing out on street corners panhandling for the day while you snuck into the their camp to take some pictures.

they all lack proper composition to be an intriguing photo. everyone just seems to be a centered subject with lots of distracting foreground and background.

the two wide street shots from the corner are kind of cool. are they pieced together panoramic shots, or legit one hit shots, cropped down? they would both be better if the top of the building wasnt cut off. in the first it would be much better if the bottom of the corner wasnt cut off. it's included, assumabley to be part of the subject, but then you cut off the point where it begins.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back