C&C on Christmas picture

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my friend came over the other day wanting some pictures of her son and her for Christmas. My set up is really make-shift as I am still looking for the perfect studio set up. I used a combination of my flash bounced off my ceiling and some continuous lights. I think it turned out ok. The background is actually wrapping paper, as I'm a cheap ass and didn't feel like spending money on an actual background. lol. Looking for some c&c. OH! And this is actually my first time shooting in Manual! WOO!

Thanks!

Looks good - just be careful with framing.. an 8x10 crop makes it kinda tight:

NyWTh.jpg

Just something to consider when taking photos intended for clients to print.

I like it alot!!
the only thing...and it's prob just me...the background seems to slant, and it's making me feel dizzy. :er: like I said...probably just me tho.
lol

Reznap, not if they want to get it framed though IMO, leave a little more space on top or else it'll cut her head off IMO
That baby is freakin cute! (ok im not gay for saying that!)

first mistake: she held the baby directly underneath her chin and you took the photo straight on. this is the worst option for composition of person + baby

take it from 20 or 30 degrees from head on. have her hold the baby off to the side, slightly turned and have her turn her head towards you

this has the effect of slimming her and you can see more of her torso.

it would also make the photo more 3d. with straight on they look flat whereas taking at an angle would show some space between the two of them which gives dimension

here's an example of a photo a took with the baby offset (but not with much angle)
http://blazingcirclephotography.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4350

and she's crooked which gives the photo negative energy

Reznap, not if they want to get it framed though IMO, leave a little more space on top or else it'll cut her head off IMO
that's a 2:3 (4:6) ratio photo because it's taken at 35mm size, 8x10 is 4:5. you have to crop the long direction shorter to print an 8x10

Last edited:
Other than those little mistakes, how is the lighting?

I think the lighting looks nice, what did you use?

I LOVE your wrapping paper, it never even crossed my mind! I'm stealing your idea for a Christmas shoot on Sunday! :thumbup:

Other than those little mistakes, how is the lighting?

Your lighting and your set look very good to me, especially considering it's very DIY.

I think the lighting looks nice, what did you use?

I LOVE your wrapping paper, it never even crossed my mind! I'm stealing your idea for a Christmas shoot on Sunday! :thumbup:

Ha ha! Woo hoo! And the best part...There's ALL kinds of wrapping paper designs! :D

My light set up is kinda embarrassing. I'm actually going to be buying some strobes soon though. For this I used 4 clamp lights with daylight bulbs in them. I clamped them to a light stand and put a shoot through umbrella in front of them (ghetto, I know). Then, I used my flash bounced off the ceiling for more even lighting.

I will give you C+C when it is Christmas

Well thanks, but it's never too early to take Christmas pictures! Especially if you're planning on getting them printed an put on Christmas cards! ;)

Not diggin' the pose. Square to camera is usually not the most flattering position. Next time have your subject turn her torso 30-40° to the camera. With females, it is a more attractive position to have her tilt her head to the high shoulder which is positioned away from the camera.

With regards to the lighting..., I think your main light (camera left) is too low vertically. Your main catch light will trigger a more realistic effect in the 11:00 to 1:00 position. This is because we are used to seeing these catch lights naturally from the sun and they are usually above the subjects head. You have your fill flash camera right approximately the same angle off lens axis, but set higher than the main. Look at the catch lights in her left eye. This is not giving you a nice ratio between main and fill, which should be in the 3:1 to 4:1 ratio. By creating shadows, you also create depth in the image.... a more 3 dimensional rendition. Next time try having your main light off the same lens axis as you have above, but have your fill very close to lens axis and powered down 1 to 2 stops from your main.

As a final note, if your main light is camera left, have your subject turned the opposite axis, if wearing a low cut top. If the subject is bare armed, feather the light so that more of the illumination is on her face. This will reduce the luminance, thus less competition with the face. Portraiture is all about rendering the likeness of a persons' face.

Last edited:
first mistake: she held the baby directly underneath her chin and you took the photo straight on. this is the worst option for composition of person + baby

take it from 20 or 30 degrees from head on. have her hold the baby off to the side, slightly turned and have her turn her head towards you

this has the effect of slimming her and you can see more of her torso.

it would also make the photo more 3d. with straight on they look flat whereas taking at an angle would show some space between the two of them which gives dimension

here's an example of a photo a took with the baby offset (but not with much angle)
DSX_9111

and she's crooked which gives the photo negative energy

that's a 2:3 (4:6) ratio photo because it's taken at 35mm size, 8x10 is 4:5. you have to crop the long direction shorter to print an 8x10
Whoa gigantic hands!

OP:
Everything has pretty much been covered. Maybe a different colored shirt for the mother (so it doesn't match the background)? Maybe pull them away a bit so you get some blur on the background, but just enough to take the flakes out of focus.

[/QUOTE]

Is it just me, or does she look way to enthusiastic and happy to be there?

The extreme contrasting expressions in their faces make it look like a snapshot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back