What's new

C&C on this stream/waterfall

Buy a ND filter, it will give you exp times you want for this.
 
Hi,

I'd agree with the above comment, an ND filter, or a couple of them together will increase your exposure time, at the moment the water in the foreground looks like it is suffering from motion blur rather than showing the silky effect you can achieve with long exposure. Rather than 1/3s exposure, I'd be pushing this to 10s+.

The underhang on the rocks is a little dark for me, particularly where they are such a large portion of the image. Again the ND filters would help with this, increasing the detail in the rockface.

The framing is good, but I'd consider pointing the camera higher if possible, the left foreground is a bit bare and the waterfall is a bit more centred than I would like, pointing the camera up slightly would place the waterfall in the lower centre of the image and remove the blandness of the expanse of water in the front.

Hope this helps,

Steve
 
Exposure-wise it looks fine. Composition-wise I wish you had a larger lens. I want to see the falls and the rocks to the right and left are a bit distracting to me.
 
It is not a bad image.

To really grasp the greatness of this shot you are going to need an HDR type process.

The dynamic range of this shot is to great to get it all in one shot. Maybe you can but it would be tough. My setup would be this

ISO 100
f/15
.5 sec
1 sec
1.5 sec

Focus area on the water... f/15 will handle the rest of the image.

I would merge the images and layer the different layers to really make the image pop.
 
Yeah I agree that HDR would have been great. Back then I didn't even know what HDR was (I took the shot in may).

As for getting rid of the rocks by zooming in: I personally disagree, but that is only my opinion. The rocks are what I like the most about this shot because they make it different than the millions of long exposure photos of waterfalls out there. I feel that they give you a better feel for what the location is like, which was my goal.

Pointing the camera up would have made a big difference too, I should have lowered the camera a foot or two I think. I'll try it next time for sure.

Oh yeah, an ND filter is towards the bottom of my LONG list of things to buy. I'll get to it someday.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom