C&C please! Newborn and family shots

HL45

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first time to work with a newborn, Mom and Grandma helping to pose. I was not real happy with the results. For the newborn shots I set up using window light and a reflector. The rest I used a single small softbox away from natural light.

1. f/1.6 50mm

untitled shoot-012 by mtw2118, on Flickr

2. f/1.4 50mm

untitled shoot-104 by mtw2118, on Flickr

3. Used the softbox here f/5.6 1/200

untitled shoot-030 by mtw2118, on Flickr

4. Used the softbox here f/5.6 1/200

untitled shoot-089 by mtw2118, on Flickr

untitled shoot-135 by mtw2118, on Flickr

C&C per req:

1. Somewhat underexposed. I think this needs at least a stop more exposure, and I'm not fond of the way you have just the end of the basket cropped off; makes it appear accidental.

2. This is one pose where I don't think 'eye level with the subject' is necessarily ideal. Lose the flower and move right and up. DoF looks too shallow here.

3. Still slightly undere-exposed, and the disembodied right hand/arm is rather jarring.

4. Cute; would ahve been even nice if the infant was being held more upright. Whites seem a trifle hot and the right (image left) side of her face could use a little fill.

5. Needs a background light to provide some separation. One very important thing you must do is watch clothing choices. In this case, Mom's see-through top has her bra clearly exposed which is, IMO, a less than attractive look. I have to think there must have been one moment that junior wasn't screaming.

Overall, they're not a bad set. A few exposure issues, but shooting infants is tough.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks John, I didn't notice the arm in #3
The exposure issues make me want to invest in a light meter.
I'm learning from my mistakes, thanks for the C&C.

HL45; that giant headdress is doing nobody any favors.

#3 good "pose", good light, weird prop
#4 good pose for the older child
#5 good poses, interesting light

HL45; that giant headdress is doing nobody any favors.

#3 good "pose", good light, weird prop
#4 good pose for the older child
#5 good poses, interesting light
The headdress was the Mom's doing lol.
Thanks for the reply!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back