C&C Please...Post Processed three times so far!

Was there a reason why the ISO was at 3200?

It was on Auto. The lighting in the basement was kind of poor when not hit with the flashes.

Quite a few things
First you can't use auto ISO when shooting with strobes/flashes. And your ambient light in the space doesn't matter. Your primary and in fact your only light source should be your strobes. If the ambient light is a part of the image you will have a problem with white balance because the ambinet light and the strobe light will be two different color tempertures which are impossible to balance. So set to a set ISO using just enough to be able to expose correctly with the flash power you have.

Second, I am not sure how you were able to shoot at 1/400 shutter speed since the max flash sync speed of the 7D is 1/250. And to talk about shutter speed one step further in reference to the "Exposure Triangle" The exposure triangle is different for studio work since Shutter speed has no influence on exposure with flash/strobes ( provided the SS is at sync or below and that you are not using ambient light as a light source) So the triangle becomes Aperture, ISO, Flash/strobe Power

The lighting looks like the typical starter lighting, Two lights one each side of the camera 45 degrees angled in , both at the same power. which results in flat boring light. No shadows. Shadows are your friend, they are what define lighting styles. Simplify things. Shoot one model, One light. get your shadow placement right and move on to a second light, set at a lower power to fill in harsh shadows, not eliminate them

Was there a reason why the ISO was at 3200?

It was on Auto. The lighting in the basement was kind of poor when not hit with the flashes.

Quite a few things
First you can't use auto ISO when shooting with strobes/flashes. And your ambient light in the space doesn't matter. Your primary and in fact your only light source should be your strobes. If the ambient light is a part of the image you will have a problem with white balance because the ambinet light and the strobe light will be two different color tempertures which are impossible to balance. So set to a set ISO using just enough to be able to expose correctly with the flash power you have.

Second, I am not sure how you were able to shoot at 1/400 shutter speed since the max flash sync speed of the 7D is 1/250. And to talk about shutter speed one step further in reference to the "Exposure Triangle" The exposure triangle is different for studio work since Shutter speed has no influence on exposure with flash/strobes ( provided the SS is at sync or below and that you are not using ambient light as a light source) So the triangle becomes Aperture, ISO, Flash/strobe Power

The lighting looks like the typical starter lighting, Two lights one each side of the camera 45 degrees angled in , both at the same power. which results in flat boring light. No shadows. Shadows are your friend, they are what define lighting styles. Simplify things. Shoot one model, One light. get your shadow placement right and move on to a second light, set at a lower power to fill in harsh shadows, not eliminate them

Thanks, I needed that! I will try that when I get my daughter to cooperate or my wife. I will practice this until I get it right.

Most reactions

Back