C&C Please...Post Processed three times so far!

Skinnifatkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yes, I'm an FNG or NOOB! I've been lurking for a bit, trying to learn and not get flamed to hard for things I feel are post worthy.

Here are a few from Xmas day, taken in my Ghetto studio in the basement...Please let me know what I can do to make them better!

6580349159_129db2c7da.jpg
[/URL] Runco's Cropped -020 by Skinnifatkid, on Flickr[/IMG]
6580338659_4407caa11c.jpg
[/URL] Runco's Cropped -007 by Skinnifatkid, on Flickr[/IMG]
6580284657_e62bdbf3ab.jpg
[/URL] Xmas-024-2 by Skinnifatkid, on Flickr[/IMG]

Any C&C on these would be appreciated. Pic info; 1/400 At f8, auto ISO 3200, Auto WB, Focal length 36mm. I was using a new gift flash and trying to get the lighting right.

Last edited:
The first thing that hits me is that your subjects are too close to your background. Skin tone looks a bit off and washed out. Also, focus is soft.

The backdrop looks odd to me. Almost like someone took a giant nearly dried out sharpie to it. Or like it got sorted wrong in the laundry. Is it just me?

The first thing that hits me is that your subjects are too close to your background. Skin tone looks a bit off and washed out. Also, focus is soft.

I only had so much room in my basement to work with and it was family day at our house. I tried to get the skin tones right in post, but couldn't tweak it enough to where I liked it. I made sure the limbs weren't cut off, the shadows were minimal and there wasn't too much wash from the flashes. I used a 430EX and a new light I got for Xmas with stand/umbrella.

I could have moved the stands and flashes further back away from them, but felt pressed to get it done. I kept looking at the LCD to check if the lights were washing them out. The first few I did were hard washed and had to really get things going to get it close to being okay...to me.

The backdrop looks odd to me. Almost like someone took a giant nearly dried out sharpie to it. Or like it got sorted wrong in the laundry. Is it just me?

Not a sharpie! lol I wanted a backdrop fast and used an old white sheet with black spray paint. Ty-dye effect...sort of. I had a black back drop that I sewed together, but with a lot of dark colors, I didn't think it would have been good to use.

First thing I notice is the arrangement is a little off. The last one is not centered and the kid is covering the moms face a little. Faces are glowing.

Oh and the background to me isn't so bad. Looks like every other backdrop I see at the studios here in our little town.

Yes, I'm an FNG or NOOB! I've been lurking for a bit, trying to learn and not get flamed to hard for things I feel are post worthy.

Here are a few from Xmas day, taken in my Ghetto studio in the basement...Please let me know what I can do to make them better!

URL], on Flickr

URL], on Flickr

Any C&C on these would be appreciated. Pic info; 1/400 At f8, auto ISO 3200, Auto WB, Focal length 36mm. I was using a new gift flash and trying to get the lighting right.

I also think this pose is a bit akward. Not sure if it's a good idea for family photos to have the mother and daughter making kissing faces at each other. I think I see "what" you were going for, but with the angle of the Mom and how straight on she is looking at the daughter, it looks a bit odd for me.

URL], on Flickr

URL], on Flickr

I also think this pose is a bit akward. Not sure if it's a good idea for family photos to have the mother and daughter making kissing faces at each other. I think I see "what" you were going for, but with the angle of the Mom and how straight on she is looking at the daughter, it looks a bit odd for me.

I agree. It's something mom wanted to do! The initial reaction from the daughter was straight up "EEEEWWWW" really!

Was there a reason why the ISO was at 3200?

It was on Auto. The lighting in the basement was kind of poor when not hit with the flashes.

Yeah your settings look a bit off, thats why I was wondering. I think you can get about same exposure using 1/200, f4, at 400 ISO (if your lens' aperture can open that wide).

IMHO, you should get the technical aspect of photography down first. So when you move on to the artistic aspect setting your camera up should be 2nd nature to you.

Last edited:
Was there a reason why the ISO was at 3200?

It was on Auto. The lighting in the basement was kind of poor when not hit with the flashes.

Yeah your settings looks a bit off, thats why I was wondering. I think you can get about same exposure using 1/200, f4, at 400 ISO.

IMHO, you should get the technical aspect of photography down first. So when you move on to the artistic aspect setting your camera up should be 2nd nature to you.

Trying, trying real hard. I've been trying to get used to all the settings on the 7D and I need a lot of practice. I'm the worst judge of my own work and know there was a lot wrong with the pics I posted, I just wanted to know what I could do better. I bumped the exposure up in the first few of the shots to get it going in the right direction. I probably should have slowed down quite a bit and taken more time. If I had of stuck with the two 430EX flashes, I would have done better I think, but I got the new flash and stand/umbrella combo and wanted to give that a go.

Thanks for the input.

Skinnifatkid said:
Trying, trying real hard. I've been trying to get used to all the settings on the 7D and I need a lot of practice. I'm the worst judge of my own work and know there was a lot wrong with the pics I posted, I just wanted to know what I could do better. I bumped the exposure up in the first few of the shots to get it going in the right direction. I probably should have slowed down quite a bit and taken more time. If I had of stuck with the two 430EX flashes, I would have done better I think, but I got the new flash and stand/umbrella combo and wanted to give that a go.

Thanks for the input.

Honestly the background is what kills it for me. I saw the people but my eyes kept going to the background. Pulling them away from the background would have made the spray painted background much more pleasing. It looks like they are leaning on it and creating huge ripples/wrinkles.

If you haven't yet read up on the exposure triangle. That will help you to understand the all the variables to get the proper exposure, then you will know what to do. Once you nail that, then move on to poses, background, lighting, and other stuff.

Skinnifatkid said:

Thanks for the input.

Honestly the background is what kills it for me. I saw the people but my eyes kept going to the background. Pulling them away from the background would have made the spray painted background much more pleasing. It looks like they are leaning on it and creating huge ripples/wrinkles.

I will go back to Photoshop and try to soften the background. My initial concern was the people.

If you haven't yet read up on the exposure triangle. That will help you to understand the all the variables to get the proper exposure, then you will know what to do. Once you nail that, then move on to poses, background, lighting, and other stuff.

I have read about the exposure triangle, but this kind of got thrown at me once the cool aunt pushed it a bit. I had intentions of doing something like this anyways, but I was somewhat not ready in a few aspects...all aspects? I even have a 50mm portrait lens, I should have used it!

Most reactions

Back