revilo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
dsc09033un0.jpg

dsc09054ar1.jpg

dsc090362ji3.jpg

I'm not really happy with any of these shots, but any advice would be much appreciated. I think I'm improving, but I know I've got a very long way to go.

I love them all, especially the lighting. The first is the best IMO. The second is slightly tilted it seems, but cool. The third looks cool, but the composition with the rail throws if off for me. I would love to see some shots of that bridge, shot the same way with respect to color and lighting, but with the bridge as the main subject of the photo. Nice work.

I love them all, especially the lighting. The first is the best IMO. The second is slightly tilted it seems, but cool. The third looks cool, but the composition with the rail throws if off for me. I would love to see some shots of that bridge, shot the same way with respect to color and lighting, but with the bridge as the main subject of the photo. Nice work.

The first one I felt was a little boring, and the composition frustrates me, seeing as the building seemed to end up pretty much centred wherever I pointed the camera.
The second I tried to straighten many times, but whatever I did, I got confused, and it always looked just as tilted as before.
As for the third, the rail was pretty much central to my composition, along with the lights trailing off into the background, so if it throws you off, I must have done something wrong. How could I have incorporated the rail in whilst still keeping a pleasing photograph?
Thanks a lot for your comments, any more criticisms would be gladly received, please make them as harsh as possible!

The first one I felt was a little boring, and the composition frustrates me, seeing as the building seemed to end up pretty much centred wherever I pointed the camera.
The second I tried to straighten many times, but whatever I did, I got confused, and it always looked just as tilted as before.
As for the third, the rail was pretty much central to my composition, along with the lights trailing off into the background, so if it throws you off, I must have done something wrong. How could I have incorporated the rail in whilst still keeping a pleasing photograph?
Thanks a lot for your comments, any more criticisms would be gladly received, please make them as harsh as possible!

In my opinion the first is composed well and is just an all around pleasing image. If you were having trouble composing, maybe try moving around to a different spot. Sometimes that makes a huge difference.

How did you try straightening the second? If you'd like I can try it for you and see how it turns out.

As for the third, if it was your intention to shoot the rail, then you did a good job. I'm just a fan of bridges, and find myself wanting to see more of it. Just a personal preference there.

In my opinion the first is composed well and is just an all around pleasing image. If you were having trouble composing, maybe try moving around to a different spot. Sometimes that makes a huge difference.
I was limited by not having a tripod, so I had to make use of any flat surfaces I could find.
How did you try straightening the second? If you'd like I can try it for you and see how it turns out.
I used the straightening tool in picassa. Where I had problems was using the different straight lines as references; e.g. using the ground, the railings, using the merry go round itself. Whichever one straightened with respect to, it just looked wrong. If you could try straightening it for me, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Not really bad. Keep practicing and trying new stuff.

You're right, it is hard to get it where it looks exactly level, but here is my attempt, I may have gone about a degree too far counterclockwise, but it gets the point across. I also cropped a bit off the bottom.

dsc09054ar11.jpg

PS: You'll definitely want to get yourself a tripod if you're going to shoot at night. I have a cheapo that works really well.

It is a tad too counterclockwise. I agree. Get a tripod. They work wonders. Also, open up your aperture. Itll let you use a slower shutter speed making your picturesover-all less blurry. All of this you probably already knew though.

Mark

I like them. If you want a nit to pick regarding #3, I like the rail. It is a great looking leading line. But it leads you to the person. Is that the subject? If it is, the person kind of blends in with the background. That being said, I still like the photo. A decent tripod is absolutely invaluable to a night shooter.

#2 is a good idea, but at night when you cant see anything else in focus, seems kinda pointless to me, if it were in the day time and you could sharply see other things it'd work a lot better

Most reactions

Back