C&C please

mrstravis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys, here are a few that I took playing around in my inlaws backyard. My primary focus was to work on compostion and the rule of thirds but all c&c is welcomed. I promise I won't get mad if you are brutally honest :D.

1. All by myself
020-3.jpg

2. Pretty colors
016-1.jpg

3. Hydration for a dying breed
010-2.jpg

4. Pretty in Pink
009-2.jpg

I have a few more but these were a couple of my favorites. Thanks in advance for your c&c.

What D-B-J said.

#1 - Nothing is popping out in the shot, it's green on green.

#2 - Was it supposed to be out of focus? Looks like it could have been a great shot if it was focused...

#3 - Rule of Thirds(I thought you said you were focusing on this? :p ) The composition isn't bad but it still looks blurry and bit overexposed on the right side of the flower.

#4 - Best of the bunch, though it still looks out of focus. How were you focusing with these shots, did you have a fast enough shutter speed if it was hand held?

Foxx said:
What D-B-J said.

#1 - Nothing is popping out in the shot, it's green on green.

#2 - Was it supposed to be out of focus? Looks like it could have been a great shot if it was focused...

#3 - Rule of Thirds(I thought you said you were focusing on this? :p ) The composition isn't bad but it still looks blurry and bit overexposed on the right side of the flower.

#4 - Best of the bunch, though it still looks out of focus. How were you focusing with these shots, did you have a fast enough shutter speed if it was hand held?

I am using a p&s so I don't have a shutter speed. I thought #2 was oof but the rest seemed ok to me. Hmmm, back to the drawing board I guess. Lol. Thank you both for the input. Now I know I need to concentrate on things being in focus.

D-B-J said:
These objects are in the center. There is no rule of thirds being used here. And they all seem blurry and #2 is very oof.

Composition: Using the Rule of Thirds

Ok I will upload more later where I really was focusing on the rule of thirds. Guess these weren't good examples at all. Sheepish grin. Lol. Thanks for the feedback.

Im curious if you cannot see your images are out of focus? I cannot imagine keeping such images, let alone posting them for others to critique. Discard the out of focus shots!

Learn about effective photographic lighting too. That can be a simple as moving to a differnt angle to your subject, or using a piece of white cardboard as a reflector to add fill light.

Though you cannot directly alter the shutter speed, you do have a measure of control over shutter speed by thoughtfully choosing what shooting mode you use.

Railphotog said:
Im curious if you cannot see your images are out of focus? I cannot imagine keeping such images, let alone posting them for others to critique. Discard the out of focus shots!

In all honesty, I'm still learning and sometimes I can see when they are and sometimes I can't. All except #2 looked ok to me when I posted them from my laptop but now that i am looking at them on my iPad they look horrible.

KmH said:
Learn about effective photographic lighting too. That can be a simple as moving to a differnt angle to your subject, or using a piece of white cardboard as a reflector to add fill light.

Though you cannot directly alter the shutter speed, you do have a measure of control over shutter speed by thoughtfully choosing what shooting mode you use.

Ok, I will try that the next time. What am I doing wrong that is causing my shots to be oof?

If you can't control your shutter speed you are going to NEED a tripod for shots like these.

Tink said:
they are all horrible. try again.

Awwww man...lol thanks for the feedback.

MissCream said:
If you can't control your shutter speed you are going to NEED a tripod for shots like these.

Ok I will invest in one before I go out again. Is it also a possibility that I am standing too close to my subject while still trying to zoom? I caught myself doing that a few times today.

These objects are in the center. There is no rule of thirds being used here. And they all seem blurry and #2 is very oof.

Composition: Using the Rule of Thirds

I have to agree here. If your goal was to understand composition and the rule of three's I would try again. Maybe think of some shots with more going on than just a flower or two try taking pictures of larger areas with buildings, people, interesting lines that draw the eye etc.

Most reactions

Back