C&C please.

SixShotEspressO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm following a friends advice and opening myself up to C&C, I want to grow as a photographer. I have taken some advice here and began to read "Understanding Exposure" So what I am doing is getting feedback on a event I shot prior to reading anything other that photo for dummies. and I plan to add more to gauge my progress.

This event was not a planned shoot for me. My friend was being honored and he knows I like photography and asked me to take some pics for him the day of. As I shot I realized how much I was REALLY enjoying myself. I know I have all kinds of exposure problems, DOF issues, and just plain bad cropping. There were (IMO) soooo many misses but it was soooo awesome to get one that (IMO) was awesome.

Please be frank.

HMC_E-009.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Flickr

HMC_E-071.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Flickr

HMC_E-108.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Flickr

HMC_E-010.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Flickr

HMC_E-010.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Flickr

HMC_E-017.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Fli
ckr
HMC_E-019.jpg by SixShotEspresso,
on
HMC_E-023.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on

HMC_E-053.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on F
lickr
HMC_E-111.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Flic
kr
HMC_E-114.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Flic
kr
HMC_E-167.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Fli
ckr
HMC_E-150.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Fli
ckr
HMC_E-020.jpg by SixShotEspresso, on Flickr

Some nice shots there with good atmosphere. Way too many for individual C&C. In future try to post 5 or fewer... and number them. The one with the guys hugging is my favourite as although the bokeh has put the lady behind them OOF, you can tell she's happy...

If you really want C&C, post one at a time.

I can only speak for myself, but I pretty much just move on if more than 2 photos are posted.

For me the shallow DoF in #1 is not appropriate for the image, and the flags in the background should also be in focus.

No numbers. Oh well. A couple had the camera tilted but tilt is also not appropriate to the subject matter.

Looks like an inappropriate metering mode was also used since in a couple of them the people are under exposed, but the sky is over exposed.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the ttime guys. I didnt know what I should do, post them all or just one or two I assumed people would just give feedback on which ever one they liked or didnt like. This is only my second time trying this so I will consider this a lesson learned.

Oh also I assumed people would just say "I don't like HMC_E-020 because....." as the photo's numbers are listed under each pic but I can see how that would be a pain. 1, 2, 3, in the future.

Some nice shots there with good atmosphere. Way too many for individual C&C. In future try to post 5 or fewer... and number them. The one with the guys hugging is my favourite as although the bokeh has put the lady behind them OOF, you can tell she's happy...

Thanks.

I can only speak for myself, but I pretty much just move on if more than 2 photos are posted.

For me the shallow DoF in #1 is not appropriate for the image, and the flags in the background should also be in focus.

No numbers. Oh well. A couple had the camera tilted but tilt is also not appropriate to the subject matter.

Looks like an inappropriate metering mode was also used since in a couple of them the people are under exposed, but the sky is over exposed.

-DOF issues noted and agreed, TY.
-too many pics noted, will be smarter later.
-Respectfully, can you explain why camera tilt is inappropriate? I'm not formally trained so Itend to shoot from instinct or "the hip"
this is exactly the kind of feedback I need to grow.
-metering yes I was way off, I really didnt understand "how" to effectively use metering untill I read about it in "Understanding Exposure" I'm still a little confused on when to use
what & why but that's why I'm here.

-Respectfully, can you explain why camera tilt is inappropriate? I'm not formally trained so Itend to shoot from instinct or "the hip"
this is exactly the kind of feedback I need to grow.

For me, it doesn't make sense to tilt when there is a person in the image. We know people stand upright so when we see someone leaning over 30 or 45 degree but they aren't losing their balance, something isn't right. It's not as painful in your images as it often is because your horizon isn't visible so there isn't any horizontal reference, only vertical. However, I think that by default the top and bottom of the frame should be parallel with the horizon unless you have a specific defendable reason not to be.

Having said that, I will say for someone who is new to this, your images are refreshing sharp and mostly exposed well. You have some low contrast issues in a couple of them and some hot spots in a few, but overall you did a fine job.

Your friend will be pleased.

- Initiated Chief sends

thanks for the feedback all, I guess I was just trying to bring a slightly different look and it just didn't work out. I can see how the tilt can be distracting. I guess I just want to not take the "same old pics" Sometimes I feel like I'm just pointing and shooting. I don't know how to convey a message if that means anything.

Your friend will be pleased.

- Initiated Chief sends

Thanks Chief.

He was.

(side note) there were other "paid" (not professional) photographers there who were pissed off that I did this gratis. They still are not talking to me.

I think this is a great start! Most of your images are sharp and thoughtfully composed. There are a few issues, but you're already aware of those so I don't really think I need to comment. My suggestion would simply be to keep practicing like you clearly have been. A lot of your images have a really nice, bright, light quality to them that make editing really fun. A military function is probably not the most appropriate topic to use bright filters and treatments in photoshop, but this type of exposure would be great for wedding/birthday/party types of functions.

Great start. I think the one with the medals / awards on the chest would have been better had these all been in focus. Too many for C&C on all of them so I am just going to do C&C on a few for you. I like the photo of the caps lined up and the photo presenting the colors. I think the one of the soldier with the rifle should have been centered more. Keep up the good work.

Great start. I think the one with the medals / awards on the chest would have been better had these all been in focus. Too many for C&C on all of them so I am just going to do C&C on a few for you. I like the photo of the caps lined up and the photo presenting the colors. I think the one of the soldier with the rifle should have been centered more. Keep up the good work.

I know, right! I tried so hard to get what I had in my mind to come out in the image but it was a total miss. I just didn't want to be like "Dude can you just stay still while I get this right" If and when the opportunity presents itself again I will be ready.............

Most reactions

New Topics

Back