C + C please

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Kazzy, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Kazzy

Kazzy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello there. I have been taking loads of photos lately ( I can't get enough of it) and hopefully I am improving. I know I have a HUGE way to go I dont plan going pro and starting a business, however I would still like to have great results...one day.

These were all taaken with natural light, and I know I should have re-positioned Bridie to get better lighting on her face. If I had have popped on on the opposite side of the jetty the sun would have been in her eyes, and she would have been all squinty...not to mention the moans and over reactions I get from her when the sun is in her eyes.

So yes, other than the light what else do I need to do to make these photos better? Also where is best to position the subject when using natural light? With the sun to the left, right, front or behind? Thanks heap sin advance guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of Bridie with her twin sister Elka, I know its blown out around Elka's hair.
    [​IMG]

And 2 black and white ones.
    #4 I know I chopped off his head here. :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks guys. :)

2. jaypix

jaypix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The last picture is the one I like best; true, the high lights have been burnt out but but it doesn't really matter (on her shirt).
    Harsh sunlight is never welcome to the portrait photographer; when shooting outdoors try to find an area in the shade if the sun's shining. Options are to use a reflector or fill-in flash so you can spare your subject having to face the sun, or shoot early in the morning or late in the evening. But when shooting children on a family outing, those options are not always realistic ...

3. Kazzy

Kazzy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. :) I have to get myself a reflector and a flash, backdrops and lights are all on my wish list...after I get my new lens in a couple of weeks.

4. oldmacman

oldmacman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Love number 5. Adorable angle, sharp focus and good exposure. Works great as a BW image.

5. Kazzy

Kazzy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thankyou :) Number 5 is my favourite too.

6. LuckySe7en

LuckySe7en TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I think some fill flash would have helped a lot. I really like the sun hitting the hair in #1 and 2.+.
    In #4 the chopped head doesn't look bad. You don't always have to have the full head in the shot. I think the issue with this one is the focus. It's soft and should be dead on sharp on the eyes.
    #5 is the best one but as I always say with black and whites, they should karate chop me in the face and this one merely nudged my chin. Black and whites should be powerful. Play around in post and try different things