C&C PP senior portrait

HL45

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
During the Thanksgiving holiday I was asked to take some photos for family members. My wife has been after me to get a a nice photo of her mother so we dragged her out against her will ;) to the backyard.
I showed my MIL the shot in camera and her response was "I look old and wrinkled" I assume that's why she really avoids the camera.
Anyway, I've been using LR for a few years and recently acquired Photoshop cs6. I used both programs in editing the photo doing my best to remove wrinkles and smooth skin, also did eyes and teeth.

CameraCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Exposure0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperturef/3.5
Focal Length50 mm
ISO Speed250

Thanksgiving_2013_Mom_final- by mtw2118, on Flickr

Thanks for your replies,

Mitch

was expecting a HS senior! :)

good shot nonetheless, BG is slightly distracting, but what I really personally don't like is the uneven space between the arms and the frame. I think she could be brightened and warmed slightly as well.

Good job!

was expecting a HS senior! :)

good shot nonetheless, BG is slightly distracting, but what I really personally don't like is the uneven space between the arms and the frame. I think she could be brightened and warmed slightly as well.

Good job!
Oops! Didn't think about that in the title, didn't want to say old or elderly lol.
Can do on the crop to even it out! My main concern was not to give her skin the plastic look. Thanks for your comment! :)

At this size and allowing for my eyesight I'd say you did well on the processing. It's not overdone and (not having seen the "before" shot) it appears to be credible. I agree with Braineack, it would benefit from a little warming and brightening.

Your MiL should be pleased, she could use that shot on a dating site and expect results. ;)

C&C per req: As mentioned the background is a bit distracting with all of the vertical elements and the gright areas. I do like the little bit of rim light you have on her right (image left) side, but she needs fill light; the light on her face is rather flat and unexciting, and doesn't do much to soften her skin. A bit of slightly off-axis diffuse flash would have really made this pop.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Any time a person's eye whites and teeth are gray rather then white you can pretty much suspect under exposure.
No doubt, some people have somewhat discolored teeth, but you can still fix both post process.

Also it really helps for editing C&C if the before image is also posted.

The softening looks just about right. The wrinkles should still be visible but not as prominent as seen in the un-edited photo.

As far as the pose, a bit more angle of the shoulders to the camera would create a bit more tension and drama, and I would have had her tilt her head down a touch.
The camera perspective looks good, not to low nor to high.

I get the impression she is sitting, and she looks a bit slumped. I tell my portrait subjects to "sit/stand tall because it makes you look regal, lean forward slight from the waist, and make your eyes smile too".

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful replies! Granddad, she is single lol ;)
Tirediron, I did use my flash off camera with diffuser but power was evidently set too low, I think it was set 1/8th power.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back