C&C Snowboarding Pictures

How did you get the background so dark in #1 and #2? Is that done in PP?

Did you desaturate the forest in the background of #2? Was #1 shot at night?

#1 and #2 are both during the day. #1 is in the shade with the sun just hitting the rider. Both have a heavy vignette. I put a little sepia tone on #1. And yes on #2 and #3 I desaturated the background.
Sorry I was in class, only had time to fix the post.

really.... have you done any... have you read magazines... they need to be lower...

i mean they are decent pics, but they have to be closer and lower

there is something about the new #3... something is distracting me in it..weird angle maybe.. i'm not sure what it is

Do you have any good examples? Thanks for the input though. Do these look any better?

DSC_04591.png

DSC_04961.png

really.... have you done any... have you read magazines... they need to be lower...

i mean they are decent pics, but they have to be closer and lower

That's certainly the norm and generally accepted way of doing them. But saying these aren't as good because they don't follow that, and that snowboarding images need to be made in one way is strictly a matter of opinion.

I mean, in this instance, how would having a wider lens benefit us? We'd see more of the trees? Sometimes, is it a terrible thing to emphasize the person, rather than the environment?

I mean, in this instance, how would having a wider lens benefit us? We'd see more of the trees? Sometimes, is it a terrible thing to emphasize the person, rather than the environment?

I think you're thinking backwards. By having a wider lens, he would be able to get closer, making the snowboarder larger and more focused with LESS of the surrounding environment. That is what he was getting at.

While photographing snowboarders, many shoot a little wider than these to emphasize the height in the air the athlete has reached, bringing the environment into the image. It's not the focus of the image, but it plays a large role.

I don't think standing closer to the snowboarder and taking a picture with a wider lens would achieve a much different result. Unless, as mentioned by Chris, you do change the perspective.

Last edited:
TheSon and KvnO get what I'm saying... I'm not saying get a wide angle lens and stay where you are.. i'm saying, with a wide angle lens, you could get CLOSER to your subject, thus he would be better in focus.. thus making it a great snowboard photo, as opposed to just a good photo.. i had a college professor who once said to me, when I was just doing "mediocre work" when i knew, and he knew i was capable of MUCH more.. "if you aim low, you'll hit it every time"... why not aim for excellence??? which is why i give the critque on these that I give.. they are good pictures, they can just be better... notice the picture below.. low to the subject.. you can see his face etc... now i know this is NOT the greatest shot in the world, but it has the same elements you see in snowboard mags.. low, focus, see the subjects face.. etc... i have a friend who shoots for skate and snowboard mags, so he's taught me all the key elements...

n513738225_1396499_9675.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back