Cabbage rolls mmmmm

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the foodies! Ready to go in the oven.

These would be my last meal should I ever find myself in the position to have to choose one.

Cabbage rolls mmmmmm *insert Homer drool*

$image-1108054539.jpg

Holopchi...Not me...I can't get past the terrible smell of cooked cabbage.

Ah see the smell of cooked cabbage sends me straight back to my Gramma's kitchen, can almost smell the ever present pot of homemade chicken soup in the background. :)

One of my wife and kids favorite for Christmas and Thanksgiving. I like them, but I have to kick them up several notches with Tapatio and any other strong spices or herbs. The rest of the family can't handle the heat!

Do you use any special rice or meat? Wifey uses ground turkey and I think usually jasmine rice.

Oh, and of course she is Canadian :sexywink:

Holidays is usually when I make these, I'm the only one here that truly enjoys them. They are comfort food for me :)

I just use ground beef, jasmine rice, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper. I love the simplicity.

Sorry Pix, I'm with Big Mike on this one. Not a cabbage guy. Here's my recipe for ground beef.

1/4 lb of the above ground beef,
Pat into a disc shape
cook on grill
Place in bun
Top with ketchup and pickle

Haha Rick, I can appreciate a good burger on the BBQ (NOT propane!)

Try mixing a little horseradish in the ground beef ;)

Ron Evers said:
Love them & like Jaca with a bit of heat. They are such a bother to make I only make them every couple years.

I might have to put a little Franks on one and see...

They are definitely a production to make but soooo worth it :)

Ah yes, cabbage rolls, stuffed peppers, and a few other things were comfort food when I was growing up. Fortunately, my wife picked up a number of recipies from my Mom, and now she continues the tradition (that is, when Mom doesn't want to work in the kitchen). I'm pretty decent at cooking (for an untrained guy), but can't get close to the deliciousness of what those two can made. As for the cabbage smell, there are some tricks to keeping the smell down - I think they blanch the cabbage leaves first.

Cool Mully :)

I'll type it up and post in a bit when I'm on the computer.

My SIL's family cooks these up every Christmas and they send me some. They call it Golabki and use beef & pork.

Mom called that dish Pigs in a blanket

Sorry Pix, I'm with Big Mike on this one. Not a cabbage guy. Here's my recipe for ground beef.

1/4 lb of the above ground beef,
Pat into a disc shape
cook on grill
Place in bun
Top with ketchup and pickle

I got something even better, but it take time to make. In essence, you make bread dough, make it into circles about 4-5" in diameter, let it rise, add a raw beef patty about 3" in diameter, then fold the bread dough over the meat patty, leaving only a 1" diameter hole. Pan fry the resulting bun until the meat is cooked, first on the side with the hole, then on the other side. The meat juices blend in with the dough, and once it is all cooked, you slide it out into a serving bowl kept warm in the oven. We usually do four at a time (large skillet/frying pan), and accumulate 12-16 before serving. The meat juices combine with the dough to make a pretty delicious combination, and we can eat 2-3 at a sitting - but it's not "lean cuisine"! As for the meat patty, we usually combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, a few shots of tabasco sauce, same with worchester sauce, minced garlic and chopped onions... and the result is guaranteed to make you want more. The cooked buns freeze well, and are perfect microwave food - pop two into the microwave, and you have a filling lunch.

Most reactions

Back