Cabbage rolls mmmmm

Sorry Pix, I'm with Big Mike on this one. Not a cabbage guy. Here's my recipe for ground beef.

1/4 lb of the above ground beef,
Pat into a disc shape
cook on grill
Place in bun
Top with ketchup and pickle

I got something even better, but it take time to make. In essence, you make bread dough, make it into circles about 4-5" in diameter, let it rise, add a raw beef patty about 3" in diameter, then fold the bread dough over the meat patty, leaving only a 1" diameter hole. Pan fry the resulting bun until the meat is cooked, first on the side with the hole, then on the other side. The meat juices blend in with the dough, and once it is all cooked, you slide it out into a serving bowl kept warm in the oven. We usually do four at a time (large skillet/frying pan), and accumulate 12-16 before serving. The meat juices combine with the dough to make a pretty delicious combination, and we can eat 2-3 at a sitting - but it's not "lean cuisine"! As for the meat patty, we usually combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, a few shots of tabasco sauce, same with worchester sauce, minced garlic and chopped onions... and the result is guaranteed to make you want more. The cooked buns freeze well, and are perfect microwave food - pop two into the microwave, and you have a filling lunch.

TOTALLY going to try this!!!

If you are going to try this, remember to keep the meat patty thin, as you want it to be cooked through. If it is as thick as a hamburger patty, it may still be relatively raw inside by the time the dough is already turning inedibly hard. I've also found that if you let the dough "rest" about half an hour after folding around the meat patty, it will rise some more and be lighter in texture when cooked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back