What's new

Cake (6 pics)

katastrophekaty

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 19, 2014
Messages
64
Reaction score
13
Location
California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was making tiramisu (and unfortunately the pictures looked like crap) and instead of using lady fingers I got this cake like bread instead and I started taking pictures to see if I ever had the potential of being a food photographer (probably not). I know the background isn't that attractive (it's my dishes and sink) but I didn't have anywhere else to put it when I was cutting it. I guess I could have put a piece of paper in the background or a cookie sheet, but I wasn't thinking about it.

1 (with flash)
sharpened 30%
darkened +20 (brightened -20)
$bread 1.webp


2 (without flash)
sharpened 30%
boosted contrast +10
$bread 2.webp


3 (without flash)
sharpened 30% twice
boosted contrast +10
$bread 3.webp


4 (without flash)
sharpened 30%
brightened +10
boosted contrast +5
This one disappoints me but I thought it was worth a shot
$bread 4.webp


5 (without flash)
sharpened 30% twice
boosted contrast +10
$bread 5.webp


6 (with flash)
sharpened 30%
boosted contrast +10
This one is probably cropped a bit too tightly for some's taste, but it was extremely off center so I cropped it to center it more
$bread 6.webp
 
Before cutting it, you could have placed it on a nice looking plate. Then, definitely agree, different background.

That said, I'll help eat it. :D
 
For a first go, not bad. Of course they have a way to go, but then Rome wasn't built in a day. Something that's often overlooked is that food photography, at least higher-end food photography is a two-part operation. There's the actual photography of course, but before that is the styling. Very often they are not the same person/team. In fact, usually there is a person/team for the styling, and then a team for the photography. As the photographer, your job is to get the lighting and camera position correct, so as to maximize the visual appeal of the food. The sylist's job is to put the plate together to maximum advantage.
 
Crop off that blue stuff in #3, and there's an image there! #5 has good lighting on the top, but the front slice seems to have another color temperature of light: maybe an overhead fluorescent panel? Still, not too bad considering these are slapdash, and no effort was put into propping or background...really, not that bad considering that the photos were an afterthought! And like I said, #3 is decent! Just needs a crop. The cake itself LOOKS DELICIOUS!!!!
 
Thanks everyone for the critique!

Crop off that blue stuff in #3, and there's an image there! #5 has good lighting on the top, but the front slice seems to have another color temperature of light: maybe an overhead fluorescent panel? Still, not too bad considering these are slapdash, and no effort was put into propping or background...really, not that bad considering that the photos were an afterthought! And like I said, #3 is decent! Just needs a crop. The cake itself LOOKS DELICIOUS!!!!

Are either of these better? This one is the same settings as #3 just cropped like you said. I thought getting rid of all of the blue would be too tight of a crop, but I took a lot of it out.
$P1220529.webp

This one is SOOC just cropped and no sharpening
$P1220529-sooc.webp
 
Yes, definitely an improvement with the crop. I think the sharpening is also very helpful. I think this shoot turned into a very good learning experience. Plus...you got to eat some nice cake!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom