What's new

Calibrating

DR_Malibu

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 20, 2011
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
Modesto, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a canon 60d and I heard your suppose to Calibrate the lens to the camera. Can I do that myself or do I have to take it in somewhere. I looked in the manual and I can't find anything on it. What does calibrating do?
 
DR_Malibu said:
I have a canon 60d and I heard your suppose to Calibrate the lens to the camera. Can I do that myself or do I have to take it in somewhere. I looked in the manual and I can't find anything on it. What does calibrating do?
Also what does formatting a SD card do?
 
Formatting the SD card will delete everything on it. as for the lens calibration i have never heard of that.
 
You aren't 'supposed' to calibrate your lens, but it is an option. All lenses and camera bodies are built within tolerances. There are sometimes that the tolerances involved will cause a lens to front or back focus(focus on something further or closer than the actual subject). If you have a lens that is exhibiting those characteristics and you aren't getting sharp pictures, you can use the lens calibration to adjust the focus and hopefully get the camera to focus on the subject.

It is a hit or miss proposition since most people attempt to calibrate zooms and a zoom lens could be off different amounts based on the focal setting.

In any case, if you are happy with the photos you are getting, you shouldn't worry about calibrating any of your lenses.

Formatting your card, as mentioned above, will delete the photos on your card, but it also structures the memory and file structure to work with your camera. Generally, I format my card before any shoot as long as I have already transfered the pics over to my computer.
 
When you've finished formatting something, it becomes Formatted. So think carefully, or you might have a talking turtle on your hands...
 
Formatting the SD card will delete everything on it.
Formatting a flash memory card doesn't delete anything.

Formatting updates the write flags in the FAT (File Allocation Table) indicating that all of the memory locations are again available. All the images that were on the card before the format are still there, but the card controller now knows from the re-formatted FAT it can overwrite those memory locations where the images are.

That's why recovery software can usually recover photos from a card that was mistakenly re-formatted before the images were uploaded off the card.
 
there is no micro-focus adjustment on the Canon 60D so you can stop thinking about it.
Well there you go.

There are a small handful of cameras that do allow you to 'dial in' specific focus adjustment for specific lenses. I believe Canon calls this Mirco Adjustment. It is something you can do yourself, but you'd need to set up a focus test and do some trial and error to find what works best.

Any camera and lens combo can be adjusted by trained technicians, so you could send/take your gear into a Canon repair facility....but this shouldn't be necessary unless you see that you have a serious front or back focusing issue.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom