Calling all photographers with websites.

ISO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm currently tinkering with a software for managing photos.

Features:
  • Extremely lightweight(Should be way less than 1MB without photos...)
  • Fast
  • Easily styled if you know CSS, but different templates included
  • No admin panel, everything is done via an FTP client
  • No databases
  • If you ever need to do a backup simply drag everything from the ftp client to your desktop, if uploaded again it will work with no need to setup
Here's how it works:
  • Install FTP client(Filezilla for example)
  • Upload files to the root folder(generally public_html)
  • Install via installation steps(Just asks for title, author, keywords, footer copyright notice...)
  • To create an album simply create a folder with the album name you want
  • To add photos to it just upload photos into the folder by dragging them
  • Text files inside the album folders titled "description.txt" will be parsed as the album general description(ie: Long exposures of New York City).
  • Photos are named like so [date][name][short_description].jpg
  • (Optional) create pages by writing a text file, for example About Me.txt would create a page called "About Me"
What do you think? do you think it's worth it? do you think it's simple to use for the average user? What would you change or add?

Hope to get some feedback, you can request to test it once it's complete too just to eliminate possible bugs/errors I didn't catch myself.

Thanks for your time.

Once again, in English, so those of us who aren't computer geeks can understand it.

It sounds more like an album creation application rather than an organizer from your description. As to feasiblity, it depends: first and foremost, what do anticipate the price of a license to be? Second, what are the advantages of it over a program such as jalbum, or ACDSee?

That can be done with a little PHP code like I have on my website!

(click on the signature line below)

Last edited:
The software itself would be 100% free with no required ads, but a little thanks with a link in the footer would be awesome, the only thing I'd charge was if necessary to set it up for the user, I can also offer hosting, jAlbum has ads in the free package.

This is also significantly smaller than any of the already mentioned, editing/cropping is all done in your computer, but the uploading is extremely simple and fast, drag and drop into the desired folder: Like so(Print screen)

It's so small and requires so little resources that it would run perfectly fine even on free hosts(000webhost, etc).

I'd also provide HTML5 and CSS3 compliant themes as well as XHTML1 if you need compatibility with older browsers.
Plenty of animations/transitions to choose from too, all in jQuery.

No flash whatsoever so it runs on iOS too.

I think I used a script kind of like that back in the dark ages of web 1.0, it still might be something that some photo geeks would be interested in, although I think it wouldn't have a mass appeal to those who like the WYSIWYG approach to designing their websites.

I have a template that I bought. I merely tinker with the variables and a website gets produced. How is your program better than BBEdit in terms of light weight. Is it better than DreamWeaver for the big heavy programs.

I'm actually programming a plugin right now using asp/php + jquery to upload, organize, and display photos. It's all module driven, but it's built in a way so one can simply upload a photo, change every aspect of it's display, with virtually know programming or computer knowledge.

Most reactions

Back