Calumet: another one goes under....DONE

So? Why do I want brick and mortar to stay around? ..... So what's left to make me care? ...
Guy...if you don't know by now I don't know what to tell ya. Your parents were supposed to teach you those lessons. It's kinda sad that you and others like you can't see the big picture...honestly.
If you don't know what to tell me, then how exactly do you plan to teach your children when YOU are the parent?
Pretend you're my parent. Hit me with it. Why should I care?

Remember how totally frickin AWESOME it was going to be for Amazon.com to sell groceries? MAN, that was such a great idea! The internet can do ANYTHING!

@Steve: Sorry, you're right. No company has ever entered any new market, ever. Especially not when there was a surplus of new, unaffiliated customers left over from a major player in the industry suddenly folding who are now looking for someplace new to take their business. And ESPECIALLY not when those unaffiliated customers are used to their specialty luxuries and demand a service of a different artistic quality than any existing options.

It's an obvious and natural progression, and I have no idea why you'd react so negatively to it other than just wanting to pick a fight...

Actually the reason I'm reacting so negatively is because your spewing incorrect information as if you have an understanding of how these things actually work...

Remember how totally frickin AWESOME it was going to be for Amazon.com to sell groceries? MAN, that was such a great idea! The internet can do ANYTHING!
GavJenks said:
So? Why do I want brick and mortar to stay around? For cameras, they seem obsolete. Brick and mortar benefits are instant possession and ability to try stuff out. Which is great for purchasing meat or clothing. But for cameras, I don't have any reason to need one right now versus two days from now, and return policies are so good that trying out to test for defects is of minor importance.
Groceries, particularly produce, fish, meat, etc., not only benefit from but almost require both of the benefits of brick and mortar that I observed originally. Cameras don't particularly. A little bit, but NOTHING in comparison to fresh groceries.

Actually the reason I'm reacting so negatively is because your spewing incorrect information as if you have an understanding of how these things actually work...
How can a prediction be "incorrect" before the future comes around to prove it right or wrong? Answer: it can't. It can only be disagreed with, which is what you're doing, and that's just fine. We shall see.

Last edited:
@Steve: Sorry, you're right. No company has ever entered any new market, ever. Especially not when there was a surplus of new, unaffiliated customers left over from a major player in the industry suddenly folding who are now looking for someplace new to take their business. And ESPECIALLY not when those unaffiliated customers are used to their specialty luxuries and demand a service of a different artistic quality than any existing options.

Seriously?

LOL!!

Dude, you're makin' me chuckle.

You're taking the position that people who've shopped at Calumet will now, suddenly, start going to craft stores like Michael's if Michael's were to start doing prints. Sorry, but that's just not going to happen.

The bean-counters for a store like Michael's are smart enough to know that the investment they would make in personnel, materials and equipment would not realize a return sufficient enough to make it worth their while.

And why not? Because those who have shopped at Calumet will go to other camera-centric stores for their needs. They're not going to go to a craft store...

GavJenks said:
So? Why do I want brick and mortar to stay around? For cameras, they seem obsolete. Brick and mortar benefits are instant possession and ability to try stuff out. Which is great for purchasing meat or clothing.

Why would you need it for clothing? You can buy all kinds of clothing items online and, if they don't fit right or look good on you, you can return them. Do you HAVE to have a new pair of jeans right away?

If you don't know what to tell me, then how exactly do you plan to teach your children when YOU are the parent? Pretend you're my parent. Hit me with it. Why should I care?

If be happy to wake my 13 yr old up to get his insight on the importance of small business in a community for you...but he's got school and I gotta work. Good luck figuring it out for yourself, though.

Why would you need it for clothing? You can buy all kinds of clothing items online and, if they don't fit right or look good on you, you can return them. Do you HAVE to have a new pair of jeans right away?
You can, yes. And lots of people do. In my experience, the difference why clothing brick and mortar stores do better still though is that the rate of "doesn't fit" is vastly higher for clothing than for cameras, and no companies have so far technologically managed to bridge that gap for all types of clothing.

For tube socks? It's already bridged. Probably just as likely to work out if bought online as a camera, both 5% rate of failure to fit my needs for any item bought. And indeed, I buy tube socks online (unless I'm already in store for some other reason). For suits, however, the rate of failure of fit off the rack is like 80% for me, and for jeans, maybe 50%.

The difference between sending 5% of stuff back and sending 50% of stuff back is why I bother going to a clothing store and not a camera store.

If be happy to wake my 13 yr old up to get his insight on the importance of small business in a community for you...but he's got school and I gotta work. Good luck figuring it out for yourself, though.
How much time are you planning to spend elaborating on how wise you are, when you could have just answered the damn question and proven it?

I'm legitimately asking for an explanation...

How can a prediction be "incorrect" before the future comes around to prove it right or wrong? Answer: it can't. It can only be disagreed with, which is what you're doing, and that's just fine. We shall see.

I've spent a good portion of my adult life in both retail and manufacturer/wholesale environments.

You're some kinda' teacher, right?

Anyway, still interested in productive, substantive answers to the question that's actually on track with the OP:

Why do I want brick and mortar stores to stay around / care if they do?

[QUOTE

Why do I want Gavjenks to stay around / care if they do?[/QUOTE]
FIFY

I don't need your patronage to stay around, while brick and mortar stores do :wink:

So? Why do I want brick and mortar to stay around? ..... So what's left to make me care? ...
Guy...if you don't know by now I don't know what to tell ya. Your parents were supposed to teach you those lessons. It's kinda sad that you and others like you can't see the big picture...honestly.
If you don't know what to tell me, then how exactly do you plan to teach your children when YOU are the parent?

Well I found it was always best to start with the basics. 12½ lbs per square inch and you'll snap his knee like a twig. Don't hit a man when he's down, kick him - It's a lot less work. Whenever a boy says "I love you" you need to realize that promise expires generally within 24 hours, often less. Whenever a politician says, "We need to do this for the children", you know your screwed. Don't ever buy electronics from a guy selling out of his trunk.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back