Camera Body & Press Pass Advice

shazthephotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been doing photography for a little over four years now, and want to start advancing my career.

I currently own a Nikon D5000 which is falling apart (rubber for the viewfinder has fallen off, a crack in my 18-55mm lens, etc.) as I've had it since I decided to pursue photography. I've been booking shoots occasionally, but I feel very insecure when I walk into a paid gig with my camera looking the way it does. I went to a camera store and was told that my camera is obsolete and I should consider looking into purchasing something new. I'm not too sure if I should jump ship and see what Canon has to offer or if I should stay with Nikon. I would say my budget is $2500 for a new body and lens.

I also want to obtain a press pass to shoot festivals and concerts, but I don't really know where to start. I've sent out emails and called different newspapers around my area to no avail. I'm not too sure if I'm doing anything wrong by sending them a link to my website and telling them how much I would appreciate the opportunity.

Hopefully I can get some great advice from you guys, looking forward to hearing from you.

I have been reading everything I can find about cameras for the last year trying to determine which camera to purchase. In that time two have stood out in the amount of recommendations they have received if you want DX go with the D7000 or D7100 right now BHphoto has a great deal on the D7000 with a 18-105 for just under 1k. If you want FX I have seen so many posts about the bang for the buck you can get from a D600 I wish I could afford one. As I type this I am staring at the mailbox waiting for my D7000 to arrive because it was in my price range and feel it will be all the camera I need for a long time to come.

Do you have other gear besides the D5000? The way I envision a "seasoned pro" is they have a camera that is all scuffed and scarred, the speedlight is held together with gaffer's tape, a "pro-level" but beat up tripod, and a well-worn gear bag (off-brand, holes in the corners) and an air of confidence in his rather well-used, but still serviceable equipment.

Jumping ship? Why? If you have any decent Nikon gear... stay with Nikon. If Canon offers something that you feel you can't live without.. go with Canon. They are both good systems, each with their own advantages / disadvantages. Your D5000 is not obsolete, just dated a little bit.

Are there better bodies out there? YES!

Do you need them? That is entirely up to you, your shooting style, choice of subjects / gigs, and your budget!

I only have the D5000. I really didn't take care of my camera nor lens one bit. I guess the insecure feelings come from knowing that the wear and tear on it comes from being really irresponsible instead of shooting all the time.

A camera is obsolete when the shutter quits working.

Do you have other gear besides the D5000? The way I envision a "seasoned pro" is they have a camera that is all scuffed and scarred, the speedlight is held together with gaffer's tape, a "pro-level" but beat up tripod, and a well-worn gear bag (off-brand, holes in the corners) and an air of confidence in his rather well-used, but still serviceable equipment.
Dude.... who the **** said you could look through my gadget bag??? :grumpy:

If you want to actually do this for a living or as a serious side-job than buy a serious body. I would suggest either a used D700 or, if you can stretch the budget, a used D3. It's not that your D5K can't produce good images (in fact under average conditions you'd be hard-pressed to tell a D5K image from a D3 image) but it's not built for heavy-duty use. Pick up a D3 or even a gripped D700 and compare the solid feeling of either of those to your current rig... Lenses are an entirely different matter and depend entirely on what you will be shooting ('though starting with a 24-70 isn't likely to be a bad choice).

As far as the press pass, the days of wire-service photographers running around with a card marked "Press" stuck in the band of their fedora are long gone. For events and festivals, you normally have to apply individually to each for press credentials, good for that event only, and you will need to justify your request, either by proving employment with a periodical that that festival feels could benefit them, or by proving a successful free-lance track record.

Last edited:
"I also want to obtain a press pass to shoot festivals and concerts,"

Why?

"I also want to obtain a press pass to shoot festivals and concerts,"

Why?

Well DUH!!! Free Entry.. and special Super Extra Special Photographer Privileges! Like backstage access at all concerts (NOT!)! Free Autographs from all the Stars (NOT!) Free front row seats or photo Pit access at all events (NOT!) Free Booze everywhere you go (NOT!) Hot babes falling at your feet, just begging you to take nude shots of them! (NOT!) lol! (ah.. that glamorous Playboy-like life those professional photographers live... I am SO jealous!) (NOT!)

Can anyone else come up with some Super Extra Special Photographer Privileges? (don't forget the (NOT!))

Does the OP want to shoot stock? Does he fancy himself a budding journalist? Does he want to sell event pics? What's in it for these concerts and events? Why would anyone want to allow him in to shoot more that anyone else with a camera?

"Hot babes falling at your feet, just begging you to take nude shots of them!"

Sounds like fun, but it gets old after a while.

Yea.. I am with you! Always tripping over the biotches... situational awareness and everything, dude!

Most reactions

Back