Camera Body & Press Pass Advice

Okay guys... here's a towel; wipe the sarcasm off of those posts if you don't mind! Let's stop and consider for a moment that perhaps the OP simply wants to do event work. Maybe he or she does consider him/herself a budding photojournalist. Is there anything wrong with that? Instead of castigating them, how about explaining some of the ins and outs of this sort of stuff.

Okay guys... here's a towel; wipe the sarcasm off of those posts if you don't mind! Let's stop and consider for a moment that perhaps the OP simply wants to do event work. Maybe he or she does consider him/herself a budding photojournalist. Is there anything wrong with that? Instead of castigating them, how about explaining some of the ins and outs of this sort of stuff.

Sarcasm? HAH! I was trying to be funny... working on my standup routine and all! I figured it would make you laugh if anyone did! :p No castigation intended... and I did try to be helpful several posts above! So there! :grumpy:

:lmao:

Wasn't pointing at anyone in particular Charlie... whattsa matter? Guilty conscience? ;)

No.. too much caffiene!!!! Two Venti Mocha's with extra whip! And just giving you plenty poop! ;)

Point being, what he wants to get out of it may determine what he needs to put into it.

Point being, what he wants to get out of it may determine what he needs to put into it.

And my point (and others) was that it is basically useless today... not like it used to be! Lots of people think a press pass is a free ticket to special photo ops, special access to locations, etc... but it really isn't anymore! Read this > http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photographic-discussions/329125-want-work-newspaper.html
Pre-zact-ickly; explanations is good, sarcasm, not so much!

I've been thinking about that second part:

If getting in free is his goal, then I think he needs to "pay his dues" by paying his way in for about 50 or so concerts until such time as he accumulates the portfolio and reputation to warrant somebody paying his way in.

Last edited:
Hell, I have an old press pass I will sell... maybe! lol! I think the magazine is defunct now... but it was so obscure, I doubt anyone would know!

Hell, I have an old press pass I will sell... maybe! lol! I think the magazine is defunct now... but it was so obscure, I doubt anyone would know!
The Pangea Geographic?

hahaha... I will have to pull that thing out... the name escapes me! It was a sports mag of some sort back in the 80's... sent me a press pass and asked me to cover the USA All Star / Texas All Stars Basketball game for them, so I did! Even paid me!

Iowa Wings Magazine! Number is no longer good.. and can find no reference to them on Google... must be toast! lol!

The Pangea Geographic?

hahaha... I will have to pull that thing out... the name escapes me! It was a sports mag of some sort back in the 80's... sent me a press pass and asked me to cover the USA All Star / Texas All Stars Basketball game for them, so I did! Even paid me!

Iowa Wings Magazine! Number is no longer good.. and can find no reference to them on Google... must be toast! lol!
If Mr. Google can't find them, they're truly dead!

The Pangea Geographic?

If Mr. Google can't find them, they're truly dead!
+

Yeppers, I reckon so! I may have to try to use that old pass one of these days... see if I can get a sweet young thing a'hittin on me! (not to mention all that free booze!) Yippeee!

I shot the Cotton Bowl two times. My client's shot list included the chearleaders and the Kilgore Rangerettes. Awesome! (Not!). Worked my ass off and I can't really tell you if they were pretty or not, or anything about the actual game.

It's not all that glamorous. I got mine through and insider I know. :D All major orgs were there, ABC, AP, Ghetty's Images, etc. It was mix of pros and semi-pros bodies.

IMG_1069.JPG

_NIK1746.jpg

_NIK1973.jpg

_NIK2012.jpg

Most reactions

Back