Camera ENVY!!!

LisaCadwell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In my quest to become a better photographer, I went up to Chinook Pass today in hopes of capturing some great color changes as fall rolls in.

I'm driving up along the river and find a bridge that promises some nice pictures. I pull over and set up with my tri-pod and Canon EOS XS with a 55-250mm lens. I'm playing around with the shutter speeds and aperture... you know, basic NEWBIE stuff. All of a sudden, another vehicle pulls over and a guy jumps out of his newer SUV.

He opens up the hatch in the back and pulls out the biggest camera set up I've ever since. He strolls over to where I was and says "Hi". I say hello there and tried extremely hard not to stare. I mean this thing was HUGE. I couldn't catch the brand on it... BUT, I was feeling a little wimpy. His lens had to be at least 2 feet long! Compared to my what 6 inches???? And the tri-pod.... OMG. I tried to keep my mouth from hitting the deck as I very casually packed up my stuff and turned to leave. He was smirking as if to say - Yeah baby... just look at my camera!

I will probably be having dreams of it tonight!

I hope this was ok to post.. ;-)

Lisa

aaahh that's ok - you'll always be prettier :)

Sounds more like he was hitting on you instead of taking photos.

Learn to ignore the gear..... some people have money to burn, buy $100k of gear, and can't take a snapshot to save their life.

Sounds more like he was hitting on you instead of taking photos.

Learn to ignore the gear..... some people have money to burn, buy $100k of gear, and can't take a snapshot to save their life.

LOL... Naw - he was definitely not hitting on me. I would have loved to seen the shots he was taking though.

Totally OK to post!
Honestly? You will get over it. Chances are he didn't have a clue what to do with it! Well, not really, but maybe!
It really doesn't matter what size it is.. it's how you use it. Yep, I really just said that.
I just shared this story in a post the other day, but it fits:
I was once shooting a beach session with a photography friend on Long Island. We were shooting w/ a couple of 40d's and speedlites. We met up with a girl shooting with a brand new 5d2 and strobes w/battery packs. We chatted and exchanged business cards. When we got home we went ti check her out expecting SPECTACULAR... she sucked. She emailed and began a friendship with both of us. She also quickly went out of business. We chatted for a long time and went to WPPI together among other things. She is now back in the business, but it was a couple of years in the making.
Moral of the story: size doesn't matter. Don't judge a book by its cover and all of those other cliche sayings.

I suppose if he wanted to take a shot of a single tree he might have had the proper gear. However if the intent was to catch the overall scene showing the color change and the landscape my guess would be that you were closer.

I was shooting a motorcycle race a couple of years ago using my D90 and 70-300 lens, and most of my shots were in the 150mm range. A woman struts onto the scene and plops her tripod down and clamps something on top of the tripod with about 500mm of prime lens. I just keep happily shooting with my little lens and hearing her cuss about missing shots. Sometimes people just don't give much thought to what is necessary compared to what looks impressive.

Reading this post is like when I tell my husband that size doesn't matter.:sexywink::sexywink::sexywink:

If I was there I would have rocked you with 24mm. ;)

I usually pay no mind when people are staring at me when I have my gripped D700 and 70-200 mounted. They can read the sign I tape on my back that reads: "Yes, I am compensating."

I usually pay no mind when people are staring at me when I have my gripped D700 and 70-200 mounted. They can read the sign I tape on my back that reads: "Yes, I am compensating."[/QUOT

LOL - I had to wipe the drool off my chin. It wasn't very flattering! :drool2::drool2:

Nor does low dollar gear! :)[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh... what's considered "low dollar"???

Nor does low dollar gear! :)

Ahhhh... what's considered "low dollar"???[/QUOTE]

My point was that equipment (of any sort) does not make anyone a photographer... only knowledge and experience does. If you lack the knowledge and experience, it doesn't matter if you shoot a Digi back Hassy or a Rebel with kit lens....

The nice thing is that almost anyone can gain knowledge by seeking it, and experience comes with time and practice.

Just as calling oneself a PRO with six months of experience does not make one a PRO...

Most reactions

Back