Camera for beginner - budget 1500€

max_b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm Max, I'd like to buy a new camera, I'm a bit lost between brands and types (DSLR vs mirrorless).
I was first looking for Canon, like the 80D or something like that, but looking around on internet I saw a lot of people talking about how they switch from Canon to Sony mirrorless camera so i'd like your thought about that.

I'd like to focus on landscape, city/urban, architectural.. More than portrait...

My budget is 1500€, but I'd like to have 2 lenses, one generic, and maybe a wide fix lens for urban/city shots.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts, ideas, advices.

Thanks !

PS: Please be nice to my English level.

Welcome to tpf.

1500 is a good budget. Your 80d is a good camera. Mirrorless is just a type, I would not get to bogged down on type.

A real good camera now (I have one but it's not the reason I recommend) is a Nikon d7200, excellent camera at a real good price. Add a tokina 11-20 f2.8 for wide with its 18-140 kit lens. Other brands are good also, just one option

Ignore discussions about mirrorless vs dslr. DSLRs are still superior in terms of handling and image quality, especially if you don't mind the extra size and weight (however, some mirrorless are big too).

jaomul's d7200 is a good camera, while Canon 80D would be probably better for video purposes (though still good for photos too of course). It all depends on your needs.
Do you have any previous experience with photography? Do you really need a mid-range camera? Maybe some lower/entry level cameras would do just fine for you and you could invest in better lenses, as those are usually more important and bodies get replaced much more often.

You wanting to do landscape and architectural etc. I would recommend a used full frame camera. The system is more expensive, but I think you will be able to get a used Nikon d600 or 610, and a good lens or two for your budget. Buying used equipment from reputable dealers is probably the best way to maximise your budget. You can also see how much a used Canon 6D, or 5Dii would be, if you prefer canon.

I respectfully disagree that fullframe is needed for landscape. In theory my d7200 had as much dynamic range at iso 100 as my d610 has. Just pick the right lens

Hi,
(I posted a message yesterday but I don't see it... so I send one again !)

First of all thanks for you answers !

About the DSLR vs Mirrorless war, I heard that a lot of people switched from DLSR to Mirrorless, so that's why I wonder if it could be a good option for me.
I want to be able to keep my lenses set for years and improve it, so I want to chose the brand I'll keep for years.

@Tomasko size and weight are part of my criteria but quality is more important. I used to use an old Sony Alpha55.

@goooner I heard that full frame would be better for landscape and lowlight scene, but this is really worth it? (@jaomul )

For full frame Mirrorless I found theses :
Sony Alpha A7II (Solo cuerpo) (solo ingles)
Sony Alpha A7II con objetivo 28-70mm (solo ingles)

And for DSLR full frame:
(@goooner why used camera? I think this price is acceptable no?)
Canon EOS 6D DSLR Cuerpo

If I want a good lenses starter what would you recommend ?
I was thinking about a ~24mm and maybe a more standard one. I heard that fixed lenses get better sharpness, light and quality.

Thanks again !

Well Max both DSLR and mirrorless will do the job you are looking for.
I own mirrorless and DSLR, I have the Sony a6300 and Nikon D3300 and Nikon D750
You need to do your research to decide which system is better for you.
Battery life on Sony camera (except the Sony a9) is bad, also Sony have small lens line up and those are also very expensive.
On the other hand Sony's cameras are very small which is nice if you don't use big lenses on it.

In your price range if you don't plan on doing any video then I would actually recommend Nikon, D5500 or even the better body the D7200 or the new D7500, the low light performance on the Nikon D7500 is best in class (APS-C sensor size)
As an addition to kit lens to your Nikon body I would recommend the Nikon 35mm 1.8G DX which is a sharp lens good for architecture and street photography and is very affordable.

If you want Sony you can get the a6300 like I have or the a6500, main difference between these two models is the IBIS in the a6500, for extra 400$ I decided IBIS is not so important for me and I don't regret my decision.
With the kit lens again get the Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS, this lens will cost you about double of what the Nikon 35mm will (as I said Sony lenses are expensive).

BTW why Nikon over Canon ?
Canon 80D is a very good camera but the sensor in Nikon has better dynamic range, if you will shoot in RAW and process your own files you will see the extra dynamic range is a nice bonus especially in street photography, architecture and landscape, also Nikon has removed the AA filter from its sensor so you can get sharper images from the Nikon cameras.
Canon main advantage over Nikon is video auto focus which is a little smoother then Nikons, if you don't plan on doing lots of video the Nikon will be able to give you better results for your style of photography.

I think this is a duplicate thread, it must have went up twice

I think this is a duplicate thread, it must have went up twice
I just saw now OP posted this in 2 different places on the forum, I believe this is a no, no but then I'm no admin

Well Max both DSLR and mirrorless will do the job you are looking for.
I own mirrorless and DSLR, I have the Sony a6300 and Nikon D3300 and Nikon D750
You need to do your research to decide which system is better for you.
Battery life on Sony camera (except the Sony a9) is bad, also Sony have small lens line up and those are also very expensive.
On the other hand Sony's cameras are very small which is nice if you don't use big lenses on it.

In your price range if you don't plan on doing any video then I would actually recommend Nikon, D5500 or even the better body the D7200 or the new D7500, the low light performance on the Nikon D7500 is best in class (APS-C sensor size)
As an addition to kit lens to your Nikon body I would recommend the Nikon 35mm 1.8G DX which is a sharp lens good for architecture and street photography and is very affordable.

If you want Sony you can get the a6300 like I have or the a6500, main difference between these two models is the IBIS in the a6500, for extra 400$ I decided IBIS is not so important for me and I don't regret my decision.
With the kit lens again get the Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS, this lens will cost you about double of what the Nikon 35mm will (as I said Sony lenses are expensive).

BTW why Nikon over Canon ?
Canon 80D is a very good camera but the sensor in Nikon has better dynamic range, if you will shoot in RAW and process your own files you will see the extra dynamic range is a nice bonus especially in street photography, architecture and landscape, also Nikon has removed the AA filter from its sensor so you can get sharper images from the Nikon cameras.
Canon main advantage over Nikon is video auto focus which is a little smoother then Nikons, if you don't plan on doing lots of video the Nikon will be able to give you better results for your style of photography.

Hi guys, I'm Max, I'd like to buy a new camera, I'm a bit lost between brands and types (DSLR vs mirrorless).
I was first looking for Canon, like the 80D or something like that, but looking around on internet I saw a lot of people talking about how they switch from Canon to Sony mirrorless camera so i'd like your thought about that.

I'd like to focus on landscape, city/urban, architectural.. More than portrait...

My budget is 1500€, but I'd like to have 2 lenses, one generic, and maybe a wide fix lens for urban/city shots.
I'd really appreciate your thoughts, ideas, advices.
Thanks !

PS: Please be nice to my English level.

I agree, Canon will give you better "IQ" image quality, better and cheaper selection of lenses, sharper images, etc. but definitely look at the mirrorless camera options from Canon, Sony, Fuji, etc. mirrorless cameras have all the features of a DSLR, they are smaller and lighter and can easily use DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Welcome to tpf.

1500 is a good budget. Your 80d is a good camera. Mirrorless is just a type, I would not get to bogged down on type.

A real good camera now (I have one but it's not the reason I recommend) is a Nikon d7200, excellent camera at a real good price. Add a tokina 11-20 f2.8 for wide with its 18-140 kit lens. Other brands are good also, just one option

I agree, Canon will give you better "IQ" image quality, better and cheaper selection of lenses, sharper images, etc. but definitely look at the mirrorless camera options from Canon, Sony, Fuji, etc. mirrorless cameras have all the features of a DSLR, they are smaller and lighter and can easily use DSLR lens

3 - good cameras from 3 manufactures meets your budget and have been mentioned by others.
Nikon D7200, Canon 80D, and Sony A6300.

The Nikon D7200 is the top ISO performer up till about 12,800 where the Sony A6300 performs better (in testing, real life you probably will never go that high). The Canon 80d lags the other 2 slightly in ISO performance the entire range.
For dynamic range it's the same story. The Nikon leads with better performance till about 800 ISO where it switches with Sony being better above ISO 800. Again the Canon 80d lags in performance in dynamic range being a full stop less the entire low to high iso range from either the Nikon or the Sony.
Color Sensitivity the Nikon and Sony run neck and neck for most of the range with Sony being slightly better through most of the ISO range, and taking the lead at higher ISO's. Again the Canon 80d lags a whole bit of color performance the entire range from either the Nikon or the Sony.

Of the 3 the Sony is probably the winner performance wise if you will use the cameras at very high ISO's. For normal ISO range 100 to 800 or so. The Nikon would be the clear winner. The Canon lags in almost every sensor measurement (IQ wise).

The Sony will also have the better video of the 3. With the Nikon and Canon having near same specs.

The Sony failing is it's short battery life, and the Nikon does out perform it some at lower ISO's. The Sony would be more compact than either the Nikon or Canon.

Source of info is from dxomark.com they test cameras and lenses. Dont just look at the scores but look at the measurement graphs. They give you a better understanding of what camera performs at different levels.

Last edited:
3 - good cameras from 3 manufactures meets your budget and have been mentioned by others.
Nikon D7200, Canon 80D, and Sony A6300.

Source of info is from dxomark.com they test cameras and lenses. Dont just look at the scores but look at the measurement graphs. They give you a better understanding of what camera performs at different levels.

I agree, Canon may be the "top performer", Nikon noticeably lags in most areas - "IQ" image quality, AF speed, selection of lens, etc. that's why most pros shoot with Canon gear
but also look at mirrorless ... all the features of a DSLR but smaller and lighter and can easily use DSLR lens

Most reactions

Back