Camera for Light Painting?

kcuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to start light painting with a DC. I understand the camera must provide long exposure feature which most compact DCs don't have. However, my budget is limited. I appreciate if anyone can recommend a low priced DC model which can do light painting. Thank you very much!!!

Any camera that has a bulb setting (all dSLRs...probably most bridge cameras...and maybe even a few point & shoots) will do that.

Bulb lets you keep the shutter open as long as you want. You'll probably want a remote (wireless, or not) to go with it too.

You will definitely need a tripod too. Make sure your budget has room for that (figure about $100 for a decent one).

Really, any dSLR will work. Go to the store and start playing. They're all pretty much just as good as the next one... It doesn't really matter what brand you get (but Canon is best :lol:).

I want to start light painting with a DC. I understand the camera must provide long exposure feature which most compact DCs don't have. However, my budget is limited. I appreciate if anyone can recommend a low priced DC model which can do light painting. Thank you very much!!!
What is a DC?

Probably 'Digital Camera'... That's all I can think of.

I've never seen it abbreviated like that before though, lol.

With Canon P&S DC's you can use CDHK which allows MANY features not available off the shelf. Including longer exposures.

It's completely safe, resides on your memory card, and is gone when you remove the memory card.

CHDK Wiki

Enjoy!

With Canon P&S DC's you can use CDHK which allows MANY features not available off the shelf. Including longer exposures.

3x acronym combo.

OP:
Perhaps I might pry at what your budget is? You can probably find an old Nikon D1x body for a couple hundred bucks that will serve your needs just fine.

Most reactions

Back