camera/lens

corky31525

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my first time here and I have been reading through some of the threads . Lot of good info and lots of help .
My question is this :
I will be going to Alaska on a cruise up the inland sea next year sometime.
I have a Canon Rebel 300 . I would like to be able to take just 1 lens with me rather than 2 . The 2 I have now are the one that came in the kit and a 70-300 . I have no problem buying a new lens and was thinking about a 28-200 . Wife will have her P&S Canon Power shot also.
Looking for advice and suggestions on a good "all purpose" lens.
Maybe even a different camera ??

I think the 70-300mm would be fine. If you want to take pictures of even farther away objects or icebergs, etc. you could look at more telephoto lenses. I'm not sure exactly what you are hoping to photograph and if it will be close or far away.

I agree that the 70-300 would be the one to take but what about a 1.4x or 2x TC too? Kenko makes a great one for very little money.

Many photos will be the normal tourist type . But there will no doubt be some taken from on board the ship at icebergs, mts. in the distance, and mainly EAGLES. I guess 2 lens are going to b my best bet. Besides , the wife will be there to carry stuff , right ? :D

What is your budget?

Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM ($2,300)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS ($280)

Budget is up to the $500 or so . Just looked at the Canon 55-250 that Prodigy2k7 suggested and it looks like what I am looking for as I want to try to travel with just 1 lens. Thanks all for th help. Back later with more questions , lol .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back