Camera recommendation...Nikon or Fuji

FF offers benefit at ISO values beginning at 320 -500, in any light.

The Z6 offers incredible higher ISO performance.

@shadowlands posted some AMAZING high ISO family photos a few months ago. I believe they were at 10,000 ISO with the new 24 to 70 z series lens. The quality was remarkable. I cannot imagine any aps-c camera offering such noise free imaging and high detail at 10,000 ISO.

One thing IMO that defeats the purpose of moving over to mirrorless for a smaller lighter package travel friendly system is adding big fast bulky lenses that add significant weight that dwarf the camera body which make bulk and weight irrelevant and if you actually look at some of the specs, some of the mirrorless bodies are not much lighter then the DSLR bodies. now factor some that may want a grip added on to accommodate larger hands or extra battery juice now the smaller and lighter body has just became heaver then a Nikon D610 or D750 just as an example.I just find it amusing people complain about weight then slap on a ginormous heavy piece of glass on what suppose to be the lighter package. I can't recall where i seen a video or what camera it was where a gripped mirrorless body had become the same height of a Nikon D5 with its built on grip.LOL

Last edited:
You have a fascinating variety of black and white shots on Flickr. I really like the monochrome (and color) shots of the classic cars and bikes.
I recommend you find a friendly shop, and spend a good hour trying both.
Thanks for your compliment. I will visit a local shop and handle both if possible.

Actually handling a prospective camera is a great idea.

I can get the Fuji xt3 w/ 16-80 f4 lens for $1500 USD. Really world reviews are quite positive. That may be my ticket for a better camera system. What do you say? A Nikon z6 w/ 24-70 lens is on sale for $2500 USD.

B&H has the Sony A7ii and 28-70 kit for $998 with a 64 gig SD card

That's very good info on the FF. I'm sold on Nikon! I'm partial to Nikon too, as that is what I used in the '80-90s.
In regards to the 610 and 750, I like the Z5 w/ 24-70 f4 over a DSLR for it's size.

The hidden truth is if I could find the Nikon DF for cheap I'd buy for w/ my old 20 2.8, 35 1.4, and 180 2.8 edif lenses ... but I'm not holding my breath. But the Nikon mirrorless are so small and convenient to carry, which tilts the scale for me.

Now to allocate $2500 w/ prayer and my wife's go ahead.
I've used a Df since they were introduced: rugged, easy to use, reliable, great images--if you can find one don't hesitate!

That's very good info on the FF. I'm sold on Nikon! I'm partial to Nikon too, as that is what I used in the '80-90s.
In regards to the 610 and 750, I like the Z5 w/ 24-70 f4 over a DSLR for it's size.

The hidden truth is if I could find the Nikon DF for cheap I'd buy for w/ my old 20 2.8, 35 1.4, and 180 2.8 edif lenses ... but I'm not holding my breath. But the Nikon mirrorless are so small and convenient to carry, which tilts the scale for me.

Now to allocate $2500 w/ prayer and my wife's go ahead.
I've used a Df since they were introduced: rugged, easy to use, reliable, great images--if you can find one don't hesitate!
Thanks Dave. I was wondering if it's still relevant, and I can use my old lenses, but loose the convenience of a walk around zoom. I don't like carrying a bag full of lenses at 68 yrs old.

To mostly replace a bag full of lenses, for Aps-c the 18-135 does it, or for FF the 28-105 or 24-120 are good choices.

To mostly replace a bag full of lenses, for Aps-c the 18-135 does it, or for FF the 28-105 or 24-120 are good choices.
24-120 would be my choice. Can always add my 20, 35 or 180 on special occasions.

I'm almost ready to pull the plug for a used Nikon DF. A bit dated, but I've read its senor makes beautiful images and it looks like my FM2n on steroids.

About the OP, definitely Fujifilm.

I find the look of the Df very ugly, because it is disproportionate and an unfortunate mix of styles. And theres no way I would tolerate that old AF module. The Df was a huge missed chance. The only really good feature is that you can use pre-AI lenses on it.

Personally I would love to get my hands on a D4 though. Unfortunately I have so many things I have to buy there is no budget left for stuff like that.

Solarflare, to each his own. I find the Df a beautiful old school camera w/ a modern twist. I like the tactile knobs similar to my Fuji X100T and Nikon FM2n.

The Df makes good images. Similar to the D4 series in sensor performance. Cost is at a premium for the Df however.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back