Camera Recommendations

iconnolly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm interested in purchasing a digital SLR and my buget is $600-$700. I have been using traditional cameras untill now and I'm advancing into the digital world. I'm not a professional photographer, but it is a serious hobby of mine. I realize there are thousands of camera choices out there, and my buget is kind of restrictive but I'm heading towards Cannons digitals. Can anyone shed some light on helping me with deciding on what road to take? Appreciate any help!

Thank you

What were you using with film?

Do you already have a collection of lenses? (Depending on what mount they are, you may still be able to use them...)

Josh, I currently own a Minolta AF 70-210. It's at least 10-15 years old. I'm thinking it's not worth trying to match a new camera to this lens....what are your thoughts? Thanx much

Yeah, if it's just one lens we're talking about, I wouldn't let that hold me to a particular mount. (Especially since we would be talking Sony in your case, lol. ...I'm gonna get some **** for that one ... oh well :lol:)

You mentioned Canon ... I think that would be a good choice. For your budget, you're probably going to be looking at something like a T1i or T2i (not 100% sure on the latest prices...). I know absolutely nothing about Nikon, but I wouldn't rule them out either. In my opinion - it would be better to stick with either Nikon or Canon...

Not sure what the Nikon model would be for your budget.

thankx so much Josh, I'm looking to purchase something for xmas, and at least you have narrowed it down for me?

i'd try both Nikon and Canon out and see which one you like better as far as ergonomics and usefulness of their menus and options

That Minolta 70-210 lens is probally the "Beer Can" Lens. Which is one of the best lens that Minolta made. It will fit right onto the Sony Alpha cameras. If your looking for the most bang for the buck look at the Sonys. If you don't go for a Sony let me know and I might take that lens off your hands.

Nikon is far superior to any other camera. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Got to Love the Fanboy Post now and then.

I would say go to the store and try the cameras out thats in your budget range. see what feels good in your hands, and take along a lens or two,if they fit on a sony alpha,that might be a possiblity to explore into.

Dont go on the suggestions of others,especially Sales persons in the store,they tend to be more biased then Us!

Don't listen to John. You must buy a Sony Alpha. Actually he's right it's best if you can try them out first.

I had around that budget a year ago and went with a Nikon d5000. Very happy with it, but wish I had gone with the d90 because it has the autofocus motor in the body so you can score good older lenses for cheap.

Choose a side. For the camera wars have only just begun.

Except at stuff like, video. Canon's cameras are superior to Nikon in that regard. I can't recall one film director picking a Nikon over a Canon to shoot with.

Nikon is far superior at color though. They have a gold accented camera and a cool little red triangle on their grips.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back