camera recommendations

newcameraperson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!
I am in need of some camera recommendations. I have been taking some pictures at stockdog trials, often indoors with poor lighting. Also, the camera I have now blurs any movement. I need one that will catch movement (running dogs/cattle) without blurring. In addition, my camera hesitates when I try to take a picture, often missing what I want to take a picture of. I would like to stay below $300 price range. Thanks in advance!
Newcameraperson

Can you provide image examples of your problems including the aperture, shutter and ISO settings?
Also information on your camera and lens setup, and configuration?

Many times the camera's configuration is not optimal for the situation. Or maybe it's too low of light for the camera to AutoFocus on. All that information would also help on identifying if there's a camera within your budget too because your definition of "low light" may be different from my definition of "low light", etc.

Are you in the USA?

Shutter lag is a problem a lot of point & shoot cameras have.
You should be looking for a DSLR (interchangeable lens capable) or Bridge camera (not interchangeable lens capable).

In the $300 budget range you're pretty much going to be limited to a used, older generation camera, like a Nikon D60 or Nikon D90.

Good luck with your search.

To do this right you need a camera that will operate at high ISO without degrading the images much. You will also need what we call a "FAST" lens that can collect a lot of light. You are talking about a zoom that is f/2.8 throughout its zoom range. This is a sports camera setup and they don't come cheap. $300 is not a realistic budget for such a camera, you need to add another (0) to your budget.

Last edited:
Yep, an f/2.8 zoom lens will sure help.
Photographers made high quality action photos indoors or under poor night lighting years before digital cameras had today's high ISO capabilities.
There is a lot more to it than the gear used.
Photographer skill and knowledge are also needed.

Another under $300 camera that should work well for the OP is Nikon's D50. The D50 was Nikon's first consumer grade, entry-level DSLR.
The D50 and a well cared for, used, AF 80-200m f/2.8D push-pull to zoom lens should do the trick, but the lens alone will be about $300.
The trick will be finding a nice D50. Those that have a D50 tend to want to hang onto it.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/thread...38/https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

The OP might also consider Nikon's D70s or D80.

1600 ISO photos

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back