Camera Safety Issues: Radiation and Magnets

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have known about "radioactive" lenses for quite a while, but I have never looked into the situation before. I have watched three videos completely (which I am linking here), and there are more that I have not watched thoroughly. These three seem to be fairly presented (not panicky, just the facts as tested and found). The new Nikon long tele, problem is new to me, though I am aware of the possible problems from strong magnets. I think their approach was reasonable for this one lens product. We'll have to see if it becomes a trend in future products.

"Radioactive Lenses Part 1. Get this lens out of the house!",
posted Feb 5, 2021, by "Simon's utak", [length 3:04]
""

"Radioactive Lenses Part 2. How dangerous are they to use/store? Real world tests and conclusions.",
posted Feb 27, 2021, by "Simon's utak", [length 19:40]
""

"Radioactive Lenses Part 3. Why the lenses are so good, lists, and yellowed glass – keep or cure?",
posted Mar 4, 2021, by "Simon's utak", [length 10:59]
""

"Another First for Nikon - A New Lens That Comes with a Health Warning",
posted Feb 1, 2022, by "Old Girl Photography", [length 9:20]
""

I haven’t watched the vids, (slow internet and most utubers just talk too much and take forever to get to the point). So cutting to the chase, how many rads and what kind of radiation do these lenses output and what is the threshold for exposure?

Everything you ever wanted to know about radioactive lenses and more.

Spoiler alert, stop worrying about them.

A lot of everyday things are radioactive to one degree or another - even us. Personally I'm more concerned about other things.

Offhand, I don't think magnets will do any harm unless you have embedded steel or electronics, They might screw up older credit cards, though.

I don't worry about radioactive lenses, and my zeiss lenses have leaded glass and I don't care. Heck, my favorite on the rocks glass is a 1 lb cut lead crystal one of the style used by mobsters living in the Waldorf astoria in the 20's.

Related and fun, radioactive antique glassware and Fiesta. The Fiesta Red (that looks pretty Orange to me?) is well known. The Collectors Who Hunt Down Radioactive Glassware

I already carry a UV light, small one. I don't own a modern Geiger Counter. That could be fun?

Now about things that are really scary? Did you read about the giant spiders that are moving North from Florida?

I sold an Asahi Pentax 50mm f/1.4 screw mount lens on Ebay to an international buyer. The box was returned, prohibited from export due to detection of radioactive emissions. It shipped within the US without problems.

Related and fun, radioactive antique glassware and Fiesta. The Fiesta Red (that looks pretty Orange to me?) is well known. The Collectors Who Hunt Down Radioactive Glassware

I already carry a UV light, small one. I don't own a modern Geiger Counter. That could be fun?

Now about things that are really scary? Did you read about the giant spiders that are moving North from Florida?
They are fleeing because of the northerners that are an invading here. Spiders know they are capable of killing spiders the size of a buick (Woody Allen movie, Annie Hall. ) Woody told his girlfriend who called him over, don't worry, I've been killing spiders since I was 30.

Send me all your radioactive lenses, and I'll dispose of them for you.

Alright, we can't ship Fiesta, those little dust brushes for vinyl records and now some lenses. What's next?

I sold an Asahi Pentax 50mm f/1.4 screw mount lens on Ebay to an international buyer. The box was returned, prohibited from export due to detection of radioactive emissions. It shipped within the US without problems.

So you didn't get a visit from NSA or the NRC?

Send me all your radioactive lenses, and I'll dispose of them for you.
I'll do that and, I'll pay the postage! :friendly_wink:

The reason I can't use some of my oldest cameras is because they don't make the battery anymore. Mercury! You can get some wrong batteries, voltages not quite right, for old light meters. Obsolete because batteries are illegal.

Not that I really want one, but remember Instamatics? K battery is a case and maybe can be rebuilt. Why? is another question, when we have digital phones for bad photos and real 35mm cameras are easy to find for film. 126 film isn't make anymore. (I called it 124 in a previous post)

I wonder if they will stop making CF cards some day?

I have known about "radioactive" lenses for quite a while, but I have never looked into the situation before. I have watched three videos completely (which I am linking here), and there are more that I have not watched thoroughly. These three seem to be fairly presented (not panicky, just the facts as tested and found). The new Nikon long tele, problem is new to me, though I am aware of the possible problems from strong magnets. I think their approach was reasonable for this one lens product. We'll have to see if it becomes a trend in future products.

"Radioactive Lenses Part 1. Get this lens out of the house!",
posted Feb 5, 2021, by "Simon's utak", [length 3:04]
""

"Radioactive Lenses Part 2. How dangerous are they to use/store? Real world tests and conclusions.",
posted Feb 27, 2021, by "Simon's utak", [length 19:40]
""

"Radioactive Lenses Part 3. Why the lenses are so good, lists, and yellowed glass – keep or cure?",
posted Mar 4, 2021, by "Simon's utak", [length 10:59]
""

"Another First for Nikon - A New Lens That Comes with a Health Warning",
posted Feb 1, 2022, by "Old Girl Photography", [length 9:20]
""

How I learned to stop worrying and love the lens. Guess I'll need to bring a freshly calibrated radiation survey meter with me the next time I buy a lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back