Camera Settings

sarisotta_21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so your gonna hear alot from me for the next few days :).... I own a Nikon D60, what should my normal settings be that I need to change on the camera. ISO, Image size, Active D-Lighting on/off, JPEG Normal,basic,fine...or RAW, I understand some settings should be set for different types of pictures your wanting to take but just settings that should usually always stay the same for the best photo. Thanks for any help!

Also what's a good flash to get for the Nikon D60??

Set the setting to whatever you think is best for shooting your object, if it doesn't work out change it. Always shoot in RAW it will make your PP alot easier. A good beginner flash is a SB-600 speedlight, for the price you can't go wrong.

-ISO: If you are shooting in low-light conditions and are shooting hand-held up the ISO.
-Image size: the biggest you can get
-Active D-lighting: if there is a huge difference in the lighting conditions in your pictures use it. (ie if there are very bright parts and also very dark parts in the same photo)
-RAW: it's the best

Buy and read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

You are asking an internet forum to teach you all there is to know about the technicality of photography. The internet is a good resource, but do some learning on your own

You are asking an internet forum to teach you all there is to know about the technicality of photography. The internet is a good resource, but do some learning on your own

+1
You might also want to get a copy of The Digital Photography Book by Scot Kelby as a good starting point - its a simpler book than Understanding exposure and is simply there to give you the "ideal concept settings" for certain situations. Understanding Exposure builds off it well in going into more detail concerning exposures and the how and when to control and use the different settings.

These books will give you far more info and advice than we can really give you in a thread as well as giving you ideas and cast studies to try out yourself.

TPF feels like Groundshog day :) I wish I get $1 everytime I hear Bryan Peterson name :)

TPF feels like Groundshog day :) I wish I get $1 everytime I hear Bryan Peterson name :)

Seconded. :thumbup:

It's a good read though. Pretty example pictures too - doubles as photo-motivational material.

Although I do third the suggestion of this book, based on the OP's question, might I recommend reading through your manual as well. I know how it is these days, you get new electronics and throw all that paper stuff away. Well, a DSLR is a bit more complicated than a DVD player. Your manual has all sorts of great information, and would likely be able to help you to answer at least 2 of those questions.

sarisotta_21,

Be aware most of the questions you will be asking have been asked many, many, many, times by other new shooters.

So don't forget to use the forums 'Search' tab, first. Then give Google, Bing and Wikipedia.org a look too.

Awesome thanks guys, I have read my manual, just seeing what other people use as far as the settings, I've learned everything I know so far off of my manual & searching, it's good to get other peoples point of view!

sarisotta_21...as a fellow noob I would listen to the suggestions to read Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. I read it last week, and more than one lightbulbs came on for me regarding exposure and photography in general. Also the book contains some fantastic photos, and as someone else already mentioned, the pictures do serve as motivation.

I am also in the process of reading Peterson's other books: Understanding Shutter Speed and Learning To See Creatively.

sarisotta_21...as a fellow noob I would listen to the suggestions to read Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. I read it last week, and more than one lightbulbs came on for me regarding exposure and photography in general. Also the book contains some fantastic photos, and as someone else already mentioned, the pictures do serve as motivation.

I am also in the process of reading Peterson's other books: Understanding Shutter Speed and Learning To See Creatively.

Books, while helpful, will only take you so far. You really don't learn anything until you get out and push the round chrome button on your camera.

I second the SB-600 recc, I own two.

Good luck.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back