Camera Straps what do you like?

I have used the one that comes with the camera and then the Crumpler Convenient Disgrace. Do not like either. The camera just bounces around when I walk, which I can't stand. So now I use a wrist strap and carry the camera along with either a small bag or sling bag to drop the camera in if I want/need to.

Last edited:
Black Rapid. Best I've ever tried. Been using one trouble free for 5 years. Very comfortable also.

LOL OK there is a very common theme here! I was mostly concerned about hanging the camera from a mount designed for a tripod. That seems to be a non issue so I guess I will keep what I have and keep shooting. Thanks!

LOL OK there is a very common theme here! I was mostly concerned about hanging the camera from a mount designed for a tripod. That seems to be a non issue so I guess I will keep what I have and keep shooting. Thanks!

You better think again. This was caused by a Black Rapid strap. These problems do happen..just very rarely.

1371097066129-socket2.jpg

I used a Black Rapid strap for a long time and never had any problems, even when I owned the heavy 17-55 2.8. But the strap kept rubbing on my neck thus giving me a rash, so I ended up getting the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap which I really like so far. (it never hangs on my neck though) But I might consider something else because I really did like the sling setup but hated my camera bouncing around. I also feel more comfortable with the straps hooked to the lugs instead of a tripod mount. It takes time to find that right strap.

Last edited:
I hate anything around my neck. I use a Nikon hand strap and holster. It works for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't attach any of mine to the tripod mount either. I don't trust it for a camera hanging upside down off a strap, as I just don't think it was designed to deal with the pressures involved.

I attach my straps to the strap lugs.

If you use the manfrotto RC22 plate, Black Rapid sells a replacement bolt designed to be held from a ring. Then you don't have to worry about switching the bolt for the plate when transitioning for strap to tripod. Drink up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I hate the bottom mount so I use op-tech

using tapatalk.

You better think again. This was caused by a Black Rapid strap. These problems do happen..just very rarely.

View attachment 109664

This was not caused by the Black Rapid strap. This is poor handling.
Same thing can happen using a tripod. If the wind blows your tripod over & breaks your camera, Do you blame the tripod or the wind?
Ive seen similar damage done to hot shoes. So was it the Speed
lights fault or poor handling?

View attachment 109664

I used a Black Rapid strap for a long time and never had any problems, even when I owned the heavy 17-55 2.8. But the strap kept rubbing on my neck thus giving me a rash, so I ended up getting the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap which I really like so far. (it never hangs on my neck though) But I might consider something else because I really did like the sling setup but hated my camera bouncing around. I also feel more comfortable with the straps hooked to the lugs instead of a tripod mount. It takes time to find that right strap.

OUCH! Surely there are thousands of folks that use the BR and similar straps. But, I doubt the tripod mount is designed to take that kind of stress, especially with some of the big and heavy lenses. The shallow depth of the mount screw is evidence of that. It would be interesting to hear the opinions from Nikon, Canon, etc, on hanging the camera from the tripod mount.

View attachment 109664

OUCH! Surely there are thousands of folks that use the BR and similar straps. But, I doubt the tripod mount is designed to take that kind of stress, especially with some of the big and heavy lenses. The shallow depth of the mount screw is evidence of that. It would be interesting to hear the opinions from Nikon, Canon, etc, on hanging the camera from the tripod mount.

Big heavy lenses come with their own tripod foot/mount. If carrying a heavy lens, The BR gets attached to the Lens, not the camera.

OK back to the drawing board... Just so happens I have a cordless drill holster that has been modified for a cow bell from back in my drum line days. It pays to be a pack rat...

View attachment 109664

This was not caused by the Black Rapid strap. This is poor handling.
Same thing can happen using a tripod. If the wind blows your tripod over & breaks your camera, Do you blame the tripod or the wind?
Ive seen similar damage done to hot shoes. So was it the Speed
lights fault or poor handling?
Please show where this has ever happened using a tripod. Cite your source for this claim, please.

I use a Black Rapid RS-7 over the shoulder and as mentioned moisten the rubber washer it will never come lose. 95 percent of the time I have my birding lens on sigma 120-400 around 4 pounds hanging off the front and my hand is always on the tripod collar finger grove handle. I also have a Pentax K-3 and even though the all magnesium body is built like a tank, I always support with a hand on always.I will never trust stitching or bolts with the weight and stress on the body or lens mount. Even when I have my nifty fifty on my hand is on the camera always.

Last edited:
Big heavy lenses come with their own tripod foot/mount. If carrying a heavy lens, The BR gets attached to the Lens, not the camera.

That seems even more awkward. Wonder if you could use the tripod mount and lens collar at the same time. Seems like it may be more balanced that way.

Most reactions

Back