Camera takes pics in both jpg and raw, should I choose this

stone_family3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have to have jpg for class but is it a good idea to also save in raw. My camera gives me the option of saving a copy in both raw and jpg.

What would you recommend me doing?

Both. Do you have experience with RAW editing? You may gain it later if you don't and wish you had kept some of the images in RAW to re-work.

I won't take a class that deals with raw images till July. Thanks, I'll just have to locate a few more memory cards than. I filled it up pretty quick in just an hour.

Shoot in RAW and learn how to make a decent JPEG from that. Start today Carpe Diem!.

I shoot just raw. Then again I have developed a fairly quick approach to batch processing in Lightroom, so I can process multiple raw files fairly quickly.
Saving both raw and jpeg takes up quite a bit of room on your card, but if you download and clear your card after each outing, then you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

The only problem with saving in BOTH jpg and RAW is that it will eat up your memory card faster. Other than that, go ahead and do it.

Here are the pros and cons in my opinion.

Pros:
with RAW, you can adjust all parameters later such as ISO, Style and more. Cool if you are professional.
with JPG, it is fairly easy to open immediately in all PC, espcially if you have LCD TV support SD card to view image.

Cons:
- eat up your memory so fast
- take more time to save image, and you will see problem when shooting continuous action.

For me I will always go for TIFF if the camera available because the TIFF file still keep all camera parameters.

-Santacruz

I have to have jpg for class but is it a good idea to also save in raw. My camera gives me the option of saving a copy in both raw and jpg.

What would you recommend me doing?

Shoot in RAW and turn in a jpeg after you after you have finished your PP.

RAW.

Any program that you can use to read RAW (Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop, iPhoto, etc) can also export as JPEG.

If your class doesn't accept RAW, shoot it anyway and export to JPEG in 2 more clicks. If you aren't sure how, google the software your using:

"xyz export from RAW to JPEG"

I'd shoot both if you can spare the space on your memory card. If you can't then I'd shoot raw.

If your class allows only JPGs then I would shoot in RAW and simply batch process them to JPGs for the class. RAW just offers too much in the way of PP.

Okay thanks everyone, I actually clean my memory card quite often throughout the day. Also I have 3 of them so space isn't that big of an issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back